[Today’s post is from the Configuration Manager Writing Team]
The Configuration Manager documentation library (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680651.aspx) has been updated on the Web with updates for January. Topics that were updated have Updated: January 1, 2011 at the top of the topic.
You will see updates to the supported configuration information, including a statement to clarify Configuration Manager support for products that are beyond their current support lifecycle. We also incorporated some customer feedback for the operating system deployment documentation.
Although we can’t promise to make the docs perfect for everybody, we are committed to continual improvement. So, keep that feedback coming, and feel free to contact us about anything related to the documentation by using our usual address of SMSDocs@Microsoft.com.
What’s New in the Configuration Manager Documentation Library for January 2011
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the October 2010 update.
Configuration Manager 2007 Supported Configurations
– Updated to correct a conflicting statement about SQL Server upgrades.
Configuration Manager 2007 SP1 Supported Configurations and Configuration Manager 2007 SP2 Supported Configurations
– Updated to add support statements for SQL Server 2008 SP2, and support for Windows Storage Server R2.
Configuration Manager 2007 R3 Supported Configurations
– Updated to correct an incorrect statement that SQL Server 2008 requires an update to support the reporting services point for Configuration Manager 2007 R3.
Using a Remote SQL Server to Host the Site Database
– Updated to clarity that a SQL Server that hosts the site database must be in the same domain as the site server.
How to Configure an SPN for SQL Server Site Database Servers
– Updated to add information about how to configure the SPN for a clustered SQL Server and how to verify the SPN by using the SetSPN command.
Troubleshooting Configuration Manager Setup
– Updated to add a new error message that identifies when Setup fails when it installs the SMS Provider because of a problem with the SPN for the SQL Server.
Administrator Workflow: Create and Distribute Image for Operating System Deployment
– Updated to clarify how to manually create a .wim image.
How to Capture an Image from a Reference Computer by Using Capture Media
– Updated to specify that the .iso image must be burned to CD or DVD media by using a separate application.
How to Add Boot Images to Configuration Manager
– Updated to clarify how to add custom boot images for 32-bit and 64-bit computers.
Capture Windows Settings Task Sequence Action Variables
– Updated to correct the definition of the OSDTimeZone task sequence variable.
How to Add a New Computer to the Configuration Manager Database
– Updated to clarify that you can import only one MAC address per computer into the database.
Task Sequence Media Wizard – Select Media Type Page
– Updated to clarify that only USB flash drives are supported when you select the media type.
How to Advertise Task Sequences
– Updated to clarify that task sequences can only be advertised to computers, and not to users.
Log Files for Operating System Deployment
– Updated to correct the location of the CreateTSMedia.log log file.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties and confers no rights.