I came across an interesting issue the other day regarding an error you might get when attempting to import the Asset Intelligence catalog. In my case the SMS provider was on a remote server and when we did the import we would get the following error:
“The Import Software Licenses completed with errors. For more information about the tasks that were not completed, see Details:
- Unable to connect to the site database.
I included a screenshot below so you can see the error I'm talking about:
If the SMS provider is on the site server itself then the import worked just fine.
What we found was that there was a bad registry key on the remote SMS provider server so what we did was this:
1. On the site server (SERVER1) export the following registry key.
2. Backup the same key on the remote SMS Provider server, then copy the registry key you exported in step #1 above to the remote SMS Provider server and import it.
3. Now try to import the AI license file again. It should work this time.
Things to consider if the SMS Provider is Windows x64 and the Site server is Windows x32:
When you export the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SMS\SQL Server” registry key from the site server, you need to make some changes in the registry file before importing it on the SMS provider server. Since the SMS Provider server is Windows x64 you need to import the above registry key under “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SMS”
The easiest way to do this is to open the registry file you have exported from Site server in Notepad, then search for “\Software\Microsoft\SMS” and replace it with “\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SMS”. Once this is done, save the registry file and then import is on the remote SMS provider server (Windows x64). After successfully importing the registry key you should be able to import the AI license file.
Note: Before making any registry changes be sure to make a backup of the existing keys.
Amit Verma | Configuration Manager Tech Lead