ConfigMgr 2012 Software Catalog error

While working on my ConfigMgr 2012 lab, I was trying to load the Application Catalog through the Internet Explorer browser (http://<servername>/CMApplicationCatalog) and I ran into the following error:

“Cannot connect to the application server.”

It continued to explain that The website cannot communicate with the server. This may be a temporary problem. Click the Retry action to submit your request again. If this problem continues, try again later, or view the “More Information” section to see details about the problem.

error1

Further investigation revealed that this is due to the WCF (Windows Communication Foundation) is not activated.  An additional error: “Installation Failed: Error Code: 123” in SMSAWEBSVCSetup.log was discovered.

error3

This then led me to find out more on this WCF service.  WCF is a component of .NET Framework. That immediately took me to check on the Server Manager console, under Features, under .NET Framework 3.5.1 Features on a 2008 OS (it is under .NET 4.0 on a Server 2012 OS). Simply select “WCF Activation” to install both the HTTP and Non-HTTP WCF Activation features.  This prerequisite is mentioned at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx#BKMK_SupConfigSystemReqs under the sub-section titled “Prerequisites for Site System Roles”.  Click “Add Required Services” when prompted.  Wait a few moments for ConfigMgr 2012 to attempt another install of the Software Catalog component, and then try again, or if you’re impatient like I am, remove and re-add the role.

Next I was running into a “Server Error in /CMApplicationCatalog Application”.

error4

Reviewing the ServicePortalWebsite.log in SMS_CCM\CMApplicationCatalog\Logs I discovered the following 404 error on the Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.SoftwareCatalog.Website.ApplicationViewService.GetApplicationValuesForProperty.  It was receiving an exception of “The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.”

error2

To fix this you need to enable/activate .NET 4.0.  On a 64-bit computer that runs the .NET Framework version 4.0.30319, run the following command:

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe –i –enable
This resolved both issues and all is now working well.
If you’re having this issue on Windows Server 2012, make sure you enable both the .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.5 features (see iis-80-using-aspnet-35-and-aspnet-45)
Hope this is helpful to someone!

Thanks Russ for replying. Checked the log and even after a repair i get a successful return. Only error line was "MSI (s) (50:38) [11:34:37:390]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Application Web Service. Product Version: 5.00.7711.0000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0." And yes i am on IIS 7.5. Thanks for your help.

Check awebsvc.log.  It sounds like maybe your virtual directories weren't created properly.  Try changing the Site System account to use an SCCM admin account credentials and manually re-create the virtual directories. This will allow the AWEBSVC setup to run and complete.  I'm assuming you're on IIS 7.5?

Just an update for anyone having an similar issue but total miss on my behalf. Problem was staring me in the face. The Binding on IIS had change on the default website to bind only to the local IP address of the server and so stop all other access. Quick reset to "All Unassigned" and all good.

It should work, make sure you have a space after aspnet_regiis.exe and before -i and after -i and before -enable.  I just tried it again in my lab and it still works.

Tried all the suggestions and still getting "Cannot connect to the application server" Trace error is "   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.SoftwareCatalog.Website.ApplicationViewService.GetApplications(Int32& totalNumberRows, ApplicationProperty sortBy, String[] filterBy, ApplicationProperty filterByProperty, String queryString, Int32 maximumRows, Int32 startRowIndex, Boolean sortAscending, ApplicationClassicDisplayName classicNameFields, Boolean useSecondarySort, String reserved)System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found."

Any further help would be fantastic. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip, repaired the .net 4 installation and ran aspnet_regiis.exe helped me to get away with 404 error on CMAppCatalog page. 🙂

Did you install ASP.NET along with it's automatically selected features via server manager?

The above steps also help remove the error "WCF is not activated Installation Failed. Error Code: 123" for Enrollment Point and Enrollment Proxy point for Mobile Device Management.

9. Rob says:

Almost….. I cannot run the command %windir%Microsoft.NETFramework64v4.0.30319aspnet_regiis.exe –i –enable. It gives me a list of commandline options.

I do have the same version %windir%Microsoft.NETFramework64v4.0.30319

help?

10. Caleb (ITIL) says:

If you go into the directory and run "aspnet_regiis.exe -i -enable" it will install fine

11. fred says:

I've installed SCCM 2012 SP1 on Server 2012. Do you have informations if the webcatolog running under this configuration? I always get the error that ASP.Net is not installed. I've reinstalled it but the error comes again.

12. fred says:

Yes i did. I also added HTTP Activation.

13. Rocket Man says:

Any ideas how to do this on sccm 2012 SP1 beta with server 2012.. The command suggested above does not work..I have used this command on 3 separate occassions on server 2k8R2 and it worked fine….the error says OS version not supported.

Any ideas?

14. Rocket Man says:

After following the steps in this link  http://www.iis.net/…/iis-80-using-aspnet-35-and-aspnet-45 it is now working.

Had to enable the .net3.5 features also along with the .net4.5 features

Thanks

15. Neil says:

Thanks so much! i was stuck on this all day!

16. Joe says:

After following the steps in this link  www.iis.net/…/iis-80-using-aspnet-35-and-aspnet-45, I am now up and running, needed to enable .NET 3.5

17. Gerry says:

After several installs and uninstalls I have just come across this in March 2014 after installing SCCM 2012 R2!!. How the F*** can something as obscure as this still happen during a clean installation WTF!!

18. mohamed sameer says:

Thank you very much. this fix solved my issue.

19. Todd says:

Thanks Russ, this resolved the issue for my lab setup.

20. tariq says:

When i installed wcf issue changed to next one but when i run -i – enable process issue back to the original one

21. gautam says:

Thank you very much Russ. This worked for me

22. Sean says:

Glad I found this. Fast solution to a problem.

With Server 2012 r2, you cannot enable WCF under .NET 3.51 it is under .NET 4.0