Now available via http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926681
In the Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) 2005 Operator console, you may find that the last sampled value is displayed in some alerts. For example, the description of the alerts display the last sampled value that is identical to the average of some of the last samples.
This problem occurs because the performance threshold rules generate alerts that use the last sampled value instead of the average of some of the last samples.
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft. However, it is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 service pack that contains this hotfix.
To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Customer Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.
You must install this hotfix on each computer that meets either of the following conditions:
- The computer hosts a MOM 2005 Management Server Service Pack 1 (SP1).
- The computer hosts a manually installed MOM 2005 agent Service Pack 1 (SP1).
You must restart the MOM service after you install this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
To apply this hotfix, follow these steps:
- Copy the MOM2005-SP1-KB926681-X86-IA64-ENU.MSI file to a local folder or to a network shared folder. If you use a network shared folder, make sure that you can access the folder from the computers that require this hotfix.
- Log on as an administrator to one of the computers that require this hotfix.
- Run MOM2005-SP1-KB926681-X86-IA64-ENU.MSI on each computer that meets the predefined criteria. You can run the file at a command prompt, or you can run the file by using Windows Explorer.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 on each computer that requires this hotfix.
To install this hotfix in your MOM environment, follow these steps:MOM 2005 serversManually install this hotfix to each MOM 2005 server in your MOM management groups.MOM 2005 agentsTo install this hotfix for the MOM 2005 agent component, use one of the following methods, as appropriate for your situation:
- Use the MOM 2005 Administrator Console to install this hotfix onto the MOM 2005 agents with Control Level = Full. The list of the MOM 2005 agents that can be automatically updated is shown in the Microsoft Operations Manager (ServerName)\Administration\Computers\Pending Actions folder.
- Manually install this hotfix on each MOM 2005 agent that is set with Control Level = None. These agents are listed in the Microsoft Operations Manager (ServerName)\Administration\Computers\Agent-managed Computers folder.
- For MOM 2005 agents that were manually installed with Control Level = Full after this hotfix was installed to the MOM 2005 server, either manually install the hotfix to the MOM 2005 agents, or use the MOM 2005 server to install this hotfix. To use the MOM 2005 server for installation, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the manual installation of the MOM 2005 agents are approved through the "Pending Actions" folder in the MOM 2005 Administrator Console.
- Click the Agent-managed Computers folder in the MOM 2005 Administrator Console, right-click the MOM 2005 agent in the right pane, and then click Update Agent Settings.
MICROSOFT INTERNAL SUPPORT INFORMATION
If this hotfix is not posted for public download (meaning a public URL for this hotfix is not provided in this article), distribution requires technical lead, escalation team member, or manager approval and the following information applies:
- To receive the hotfix, customers must be experiencing the bug that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section.
- You must track the customers you send this to and supply them with the next service pack when it becomes available (if a service pack is released).
This is scheduled to be included with Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 Service Pack 2.
MICROSOFT INTERNAL SUPPORT INFORMATION
The "Resolution" section states whether this hotfix is available as a hotfix or in the latest service pack. For comparison and testing, the original hotfix is available on the http://hotfix Web site.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates