I just got news about this great feature being enabled in all tenants within the next few months and has already been released to Targeted Release customers already, and I’m passing the info along to you.
First this feature will sync files between OneDrive for Business and the Desktop, Documents, and Pictures from your users PC, this feature is designed to seamlessly move your users data without them realizing anything has been done, and then they will be able to access the data from multiple devices or services.
So how do you deploy this awesome magic…for more detailed info about this feature see here
- You will want to deploy the Group Policy Object following this article. NOTE: This article will show you other settings that you could control.
- Allow background scan to determine if client is eligible, it looks at the following
- Account type
- Known folder size on the local device
- Current OneDrive quota
- Folder/file errors and blocking issues
- Operating System
NOTE: This is how an IT Admin would automate it, users will be able to force the update from the client if they want.
Restrictions and limitations…
All are documented here but a few that I would like to highlight
- Number of items that we recommend to sync across all libraries is 300,000
- 15GB file size limit
- Network or mapped drives are not synched
- Authenticated proxies are not supported
- Doesn’t sync OneNote notebooks