As you may or may not know the cloud has had PowerBi for a while now and it has been a great success at data visualization creating powerful dashboards and helping people make informed decisions every day.
And now we have PowerBi moving on-prem with the PowerBi Report Server your users will be able to create, publish, and distribute beautiful reports quickly using this tool, as well since Power BI Report Server is part of Power BI Premium you are cloud ready for when you want to move to the cloud.
Installing, what do you need to know?
- Requirements to install Report Server
- .NET Framework 4.6
- 1GB free space for installation files, Additional space for Databases on hosting server
- Recommend at least 4GB RAM
- Recommend 2.0 GHz or faster processor
- Installation account must be in local administrator group
- Processor types: x64 Processor: AMD Opteron, AMD Athlon 64, Intel Xeon with Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium IV with EM64T support
- Operating Systems: Windows Server 2016 Datacenter, Windows Server 2016 Standard, Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation, Windows Server 2012 Datacenter, Windows Server 2012 Standard, Windows Server 2012 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 Foundation, Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Professional, Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Enterprise
- Requirements for Report Server Database Server
- Supported versions of SQL: SQL Server 2017, SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008
- Can be local or remote, if remote you need to configure Connection with properly permissioned domain account (See here for more info)
Configuration, what do we do now?
- The account used for Reporting Services Configuration Manager needs server roles Public and DbCreator.
- You must be able to setup a Port 80 website with Virtual directory names ReportServer and Reports
- While you can have Read-Only DC’s the service does need access to a Read-Write DC
- Connection to analyze service can be live, and must be one of the following version and Sku
|Server version||Required SKU|
|2012 SP1 CU4 or later||Business Intelligence and Enterprise SKU|
|2014||Business Intelligence and Enterprise SKU|
|2016 and later||Standard SKU or higher|
Finally ready to install and configure , so what am I doing?
- Go online and look under PowerBi Premuim and you will find the link PowerBI Report Server Key or Volume Licensing if you have SQL Server Enterprise SA
- Download the PowerBi Report Server bits from here
- Click thru the wizard to install the service
- Click to configure reporting server, this will initiate the creation of your database. If using a remote SQL server then follow these instructions to configure the connection string
To get more information about install and config see here
I want more information where can I go:
- What's New in Power BI Report Server
- Microsoft Power BI Blog
- SQL Server Reporting Services Team Blog
- The Guy in a Cube YouTube channel