Microsoft just released Feature Pack 2 for SharePoint 2016 using the Public Update Channel. Feature Packs include new functionality for On Premises SharePoint Farms and try to limit feature gaps to SharePoint Online.
Great improvements have been published through Feature Pack 1 and 2:
- SharePoint Framework (SPFx)
- Administrative Actions Logging
- MinRole enhancements
- SharePoint Custom Tiles
- Hybrid Auditing (preview)
- Hybrid Taxonomy
- OneDrive API for SharePoint on-premises
- OneDrive for Business modern experience (available to Software Assurance customers)
The License Trap
The last point in the list above should catch your explicit attention: OneDrive for Business modern experience can only be used by Software Assurance customers,
By installing Feature Pack 1 or 2, OneDrive for Business modern experience is turned on by default even though this feature requires a valid Software Assurance.
Make sure you meet this license requirement. If this is not the case you have to disable OneDrive for Business modern experience. This is an easy task, but this one has to be completed right after the installation of Feature Pack 1 or 2.
See how it works: Configure the OneDrive for Business modern user experience.
How to check if the Modern UI is active
If you want to do a quick check for which OneDrive UI currently is active in your farm, run the following command using the SharePoint Management Shell:
$Farm = Get-SPFarm
The image above shows an active OneDrive Modern User Experience.
(Version2 is the Modern OneDrive UI, Version1 is the Classic UI)
- New features in November 2016 PU for SharePoint Server 2016 (Feature Pack 1)
- New features in September 2017 PU for SharePoint Server 2016 (Feature Pack 2)
- Configure the OneDrive for Business modern user experience
- Software Assurance overview
Please share your thoughts & experiences in the comments. Any feedback or additions for this post is highly welcome.
Thank you for rating this article if you liked it or it was helpful for you.