It’s really been one of those weeks…so much to do…so little time to blog…so much mess to clear up. That’s right, mess to clear up…and what a mess it was too.
In order to help you understand just what it’s like to work for a People Ready Business, I’d like to share and compare my working week with that of Ken, the fictional Financial Controller at Contoso, the People Ready Business…
A Day in the Life of…Ken
- 8:00 – 9:00 AM Check email/voicemail messages
- 9:00 – 10:00 Review cash on hand and bank balances
- 10:00 – 12:00 PM Attend scheduled meetings
- 12:00 – 1:00 Have lunch
- 1:00 – 2:00 Meet with accounting staff
- 2:00 – 3:30 Review finances/prepare reports
- 3:30 – 5:00 Continue work on current projects/work on the To Do list generated from meetings
- 5:00 – 7:00 PM Review and respond to email messages/work on a facilities issue/go home
A Day in the Life of…Chris
- 2:15 – 2:30 AM Get woken up by an almighty crashing sound and vibrating floor/go downstairs to investigate
- 2:30 – 2:35 Realise that you can’t get into the lounge as something is blocking the door/decide to leave until daylight/go back to bed.
- 2:35 – 3:15 Sleep
- 3:15 – 3:25 Wide awake again due to more noise.
- 3:25 – 7:00 Sleep
- 7:00 – 9:00 Head downstairs to find ceiling has fallen in/begin clean up operation/rescue TV and XBox 360.
- 9:00 – 10:00 Contact waste of space insurance company/get in touch with builder
- 10:00 – 14:30 Knock off rest of ceiling that hadn’t quite fell to the floor
- 14:30 – 15:00 Finally eat something
- 15:00 – 17:00 Scrape remains of wallpaper from walls
- 17:00 – 18:00 Shower. Twice.
- 18:00 – 18:30 Discuss damage with builder/get estimate for repairs.
- 18:30 – 12:30 AM Do some work
Of course, each of these tasks that I completed were regularly interspersed with “Check email on SmartPhone” and one off’s such as “Let manager know I’m not going to be as responsive as I’d like to be today” but for the sake of the narrative dear reader, I hope you can forgive me that!
What’s completely apparent to me now is that this event really helped me appreciate the genuine benefits of being able to work flexibly (from home) and how blessed I am to work for a company that understands when time out needs to be taken 🙂 People Ready Business indeed!