Unable to RDP to TMG Server – Error – A connection was abortively closed after one of the peers sent an RST packet….


 

I have run into this pesky problem a few times now since moving from ISA 2006 to TMG2010. I just ran into it again this evening and decided to post the results of my troubleshooting. In this case i am working on a brand new (2 week old) install of TMG 2010 for my home network. When I rebuilt the server two weeks ago, I enabled Remote Desktop to the TMG2010 server then enabled the built-in System Policies for remote RDP connections and all was golden. This evening I was suddenly unable to RDP from any workstation any longer. In fact, I could not RDP from the ISA server to itself. In previous installations of TMG,  I would do something like install a non-critical Windows Update, or reboot, or something else equally non-invasive and suddenly I am unable to RDP to my Threat Manage Gateway machine any longer. Tonight when I enabled logging in TMG and then inititate an RDP session. I saw the following in the TMG logs -

The interesting thing is that there isn't actually a denied connection anywhere in the logs. It looks like everything is okay unless you look closely and see the "abortively closed" message above. I wish i could say I know what causes this issue to crop up. Unfortunately I have never been able to actively recreate the issue. It just happens now and then. But after doing a bunch of disgnostics logging, a few netmon traces (worthless btw), I do have a fix for the problem. On the TMG2010 machine, do the following -

Click Start - Type MMC.EXE - press Enter <to open a empty MMC Console>

Add the "Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration" snap-in and set to Local Computer

Select - RD Session Host Configuration - you should see RDP-Tcp in the center panel

Right Click - RDP-Tcp - choose Properties

Select the - Network Adapter - Tab

In the Network Adapter selection box, choose "All network adapters configured with this protocol"

Click - OK

In the menu bar selection - Action --> Disable Connection then re-enable the connection

Right Click - RDP-Tcp - choose Properties

Select the - Network Adapter - Tab

In the Network Adapter selection box, choose "<name of your internal NIC>"

Click - OK

In the menu bar selection - Action --> Disable Connection then re-enable the connection

Now, from a remote client test your RDP Client connection to the ISA Server. It should be back in working order. As noted, i don't know what causes the problem to arise, but the fix seems to reset the RDP server so that it will actually answer the RDP clients.

 

Cheers!

Comments (0)

Skip to main content