Last week when my colleague Jonathan Rozenblit and I were at TechDays Toronto, we had the opportunity to sit down with Jeff Woolsey, the Principal Program Manager Lead for Windows Server Virtualization at Microsoft. During our chat we talk about virtualization (of course!), but we also discuss managing your systems, taking advantage of the public cloud and automating tasks with PowerShell and why that is important for both sys admins and developers.
Jeff’s challenge to anyone evaluating virtualization products and wondering how Hyper-V, a free server role in Windows Server, can stack up against VMware, a product you pay for: try Hyper-V for yourself or have your team try it out. If you don’t like it, then fine. But you may be surprised at all it has to offer and if your team is already using Windows Server, there is the added bonus of training cost savings.
Sit back, have a listen and enjoy!
Listen to the podcast
Right-click and select “Save target as” to download: Episode 42 MP3 file
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2: Information about the Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 stand-alone product mentioned by Jeff in the podcast.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V: Information on the integrated Windows Server with Hyper-V product.
- TechNet Evaluation Center: Free trial and evaluation downloads of many Microsoft products including Windows server & client, System Center management products, and cloud services.
- Get your team certified on the technologies we talk about in this podcast! Exam 70-659: Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization and exam 70-400: System Center Operations Manager 2007, Configuring
- Information on Scripting with Windows PowerShell and how to automate tasks with the Windows platform.
- Manager Tech Talk Episode 2 with Joel Varty from AgilityCMS on developing for the public cloud: