In this blog series, I have an exclusive interview with Allen Atwell, a top international IT expert and authority, a leading senior executive and the Chief Technology Officer at MessageLabs.
Q6: In your view, what are the most serious roadblocks for businesses and what are their solutions?
- Roadblock 1: People who are afraid to ask questions
Solution: Such people need to be constantly stimulated and challenged with new projects
- Roadblock 2: Management losing contact with employees
Solution: An office culture that encourages management of employee interaction through structure and strategy
- Roadblock 3: Failure to localize business
Solution: Learn the regional customs, language, laws and industry standards and adapt the business accordingly
- Roadblock 4: Assuming competition exists internally
Solution: Look outside the four walls of the business and study the industry. Become familiar with all industry players and learn how to identify potential competition.
Q7: What are some of the top technology issues presently facing business and how do you propose they can be solved?
- Issue 1: Network latency in geographically remote locations
Solution: Correct positioning of infrastructure in the field for optimal performance
- Issue 2: Heat required in data centers
Solution: Reduce the footprint and number of machines in use with new technology
Q8: Provide your predictions of future IT/Business trends and their implications/opportunities?
- Trend 1: Managed services will become standard
Implication/opportunities: This will allow all businesses to focus on their core competencies to become more profitable
- Trend 2: Cost of Ownership will become a priority
Implication/opportunities: CFOs will become more involved in making investments in tandem with the CIO
- Trend 3: Management by SLAs will increase in popularity
Implication/opportunities: Decisions will no longer be made on price alone. Customers will be prepared to pay more if the service provider exceeds expectations