The US Bureau of Labour predicts a 55% increase in demand for network systems analysts from 2004 to 2014. So how do IT managers and businesses attract and then keep IT talent? It’s an important question that I was asked recently for CISCO’s IQ Magazine.
Referrals are the best source for finding qualified new hires including from employees, colleagues, and IT associations such as CIPS. I am asked all the time. Perhaps a Job Board here in the Canadian IT Managers forum (CIM) would be of value?
To keep talent, I believe job security is still a key issue since IT pros still remember the uncertainty following the dot com meltdown. You can also offer profit sharing, job promotions, flex/vacation time and perks such as:
- The opportunity to work with advanced and interesting projects, or on high-visibility projects.
- On-going technology training, management training, or mentoring.
- Bonuses for attaining professional certifications or advanced degrees.
- Bonuses for completing important projects ahead of schedule or under budget and for achieving other business goals and objectives.
- The option to telecommute if appropriate.
I would be interested in hearing what you feel works or doesn’t work. Comment here or e-mail me at email@example.com