Hacker or Defender?

I’ve always had the belief that in order to really understand something you have to break it and then fix it.  Well maybe not break it but take it apart at least 🙂  I really believe this when it comes to security.  If you don’t know what threats are out there, how can you protect against them?  If you don’t understand how hackers get through firewalls, how can you deploy one or manage it?

Have you ever wondered how hackers gain access to your computer? Are you interested in learning about some of the most threatening viruses online? Do you want to learn how to protect yourself? Join industry and Microsoft experts at Hack and Defend Workshop to get a hands-on demonstration of the most current hacking methods and practical ways to protect yourself against them. This is a great opportunity for you to network with your peers, share experiences and learn from experts. We will also give away books, software and related materials at the workshop . There is no cost to attend but seating is limited and will be allocated on a first-come first-serve basis. Choose to attend either the morning of the afternoon session.

Hack and Defend Workshop

Locations:

Vancouver: May 7th Click here to register

Calgary: May 8th Click here to register

Mississauga: May 11th Click here to register

Montreal: May 12th Click here to register

Ottawa: May 13th Click here to register

Times: 9-11:30am OR 1:30-4pm

Cost: There is no cost to attend

I for one am looking forward to taking part in this event as a participant.  If you are signing up for the May 11th event in Mississauga, let me know so we can chat, just don’t put your new skills to use on my notebook 🙂

1. Steve Syfuhs says:

My boss jumped at the chance to send us to this.  Security is kinda important…

2. alex says:

Any plans on bringing this to Winnipeg?

3. Rodney Buike says:

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately not this time around.  The feedback from Winnipeg has been great and every bit of it is passed on to those managing this event.

Rodney Buike

IT Pro Advisor

4. Chris Voteary says:

Since Winnipeg will be missed this time around, will there be an online link/video/seminar to any of the dates listed from any of the cities listed above on the topics that will be discussed?

5. lars says:

As usual Winnipeg is bypassed.  Guess I should be happy I don’t live in Edmonton.

6. David says:

Wish this was on a weekend. With staff reductions we  have no coverage to lose staff durring the week.

7. kenton says:

In Calgary it shows a morning session and an afternoon session with identical descriptions. Am I to assume the same session is running twice?

Thanks,

Kenton

8. kenton says:

Ignore my previous question. This page actually has a lot more information so I see it is an "or" not "and". However, when I registered for the Calgary event and had it add the appointment to my calendar, it added it from 9:00am – 7:30pm.

9. Tiim S says:

What about a date for Victoria, BC?  Is there any chance that this semminar will come over here?

10. Dave2U says:

I attended the afternoon session in Calgary today and found it very informative.  In very basic terms, there is very little that can’t be broken, hacked or owned in a fairly short period of time and almost nothing that can’t be beat with a longer period of time.

Security practices have to be honed and constantly updated just to keep up with the latest exploits.  I can see merit in having a full-day clinic with more time for demos [even hands-on-labs] once every six months.  My thanks go out to Microsoft for pulling this tour together.

PS.  This tour seguays nicely into the Kai Axford Culminis Road Show which hits Calgary on June 18th.  I hope we get a great crowd out for one of Microsoft’s best security experts.