Your Solutions – DST Fix via Startup Script

Dani Sarfati (Winnipeg, Manitoba)

DST Patching

So as you can imagine, the DST changes have been on the top of everyone's mind lately.  I can't count the number of things I've had to patch besides computers.  My GPS had a patch, my Moto Q and my wife's GSM phone needed patching, my PVR got patched from the cable provider and so on.....  A lot of work but hey at least at Microsoft I am an end user and we have IT staff taking care of the infrastrucutre!

The other day I was talking with a friend of mine in Winnipeg, Dani Sarfati, and he told me how he deployed the DST fix using a registry file and an addition to his startup script.  There is a Microsoft KB Article 914387 that outlines how to do this but everyone's enviroment is different.  Dani told me that he used the registry file provided in the KB article under “Create a registry file for English builds of Windows” and then dropped that into \\domain\sysvol\domain\it\scripts folder (aka NetLogon).  Next he created a batch file called UpdateDST.cmd with the following command in it and placed that in the same folder.

regedit /s tzupdate.reg

Finally, he added his UpdateDST.cmd to the startup script in his domain policy and moved it to the top of the list.  With that in place it was time to test the script so Dani rebooted his PC and when he logged in he saw the script run, success!  Not content with just that, Dani set the clock on his PC to March 11th 2007 1:59:48 AM and counted down to see the change take place.  And the celebrating began as the DST update was applied to all his Windows 2000 and XP PCs and servers.  Now to get to all those other servers and devices.........

1. tony roth says:

yuck another company with everybody running as admin great!

2. tony roth says:

oops thought he was doing it via login scripts!

3. Rodney Buike says:

Good catch Tony!  For those that missed it, Dani used a start up script, rather than a login script in order to avoid requiring his users to be full local admins which we all know is bad!  Right?  🙂

Rodney Buike

IT Pro Advisor

4. Andrew Storrs says:

Maybe it would be prudent to change the title of the post to read "DST Fix via Start-up Script"

5. Rodney Buike says:

Done 🙂  Now I realized where the confusion started!  Thanks,

Rodney Buike

IT Pro Advisor

6. Andy Wood says:

How does this registry fix affect Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003 (without Exchange)?

We’re having to go to each workstation as the logged in user and run an Outlook Patch.  Is there a better way for those users who work on a different shift (ie: night-time) than IT staff?

Also, we have dumb users, so I don’t want to rely on their abilities to install the patch themselves.

7. Rodney Buike says:

Hey Andy!  Check out the post by Pierre Roman on DST at http://blogs.technet.com/canitpro/archive/2007/02/15/guest-blogger-pierre-roman-over-coffee-and-dst.aspx

That should clear things up!

Rodney Buike