If you attended one of the events in person, you got your hands on one of the Resource DVD sets. We had so many moving parts involved in a tight timeframe that one or two little things slipped by and have been brought to our attention. Since the Resource DVD kit was “my baby” to ensure it got done – I’ll have the updates posted here. Here’s what I know so far after talking to you via email and comments on this blog.
- The Longhorn DVD is the media for the install – but where is the missing KEY to complete the install.
- The Vista VHD is BIIIIIIG and it won’t activate. What’s up with that?
for #1 – I have an easy solution for you. What happened? …the instructions required to register to get a key didn’t get printed on the envelope. Here they are:
- Browse to http://connect.microsoft.com/.
- In the left navigation menu, click Invitations and then sign in with your Windows Live ID or Microsoft Passport account.
- Enter the following invitation ID: TE06-KVM4-3RM9
- In the left navigation menu, click Product Keys.
- Click the Request Product Key link.
We’re sorry for not having them on the sleeves in the first place – sorry about that.
for #2 – yup – it is large – it’s a VHD that has Office 2007 running on Windows Vista. It will require as much RAM as you can put towards the virtual guest – I set it up with 768, but it can always take more. Realistically speaking to use this VHD – you should be running a host box that has at least 1.5 GB of ram.
As for the activation issue… The image was created long enough ago that it now forces activation on the first logon. It claims that it can not be activated, no mater what method you choose to use. I am finalising my documentation of the steps to be able to make this image “activatable” and will hopefully have an updated posted here on the blog soon. Hang in there!
Did I miss anything? Let me know!