Package Conversion Manager provides an easy to use interface for converting packages to ConfigMgr 2012 app model applications which greatly reduces the amount of time as well as the number of mistakes that might be made if manually converting ConfigMgr packages to app model apps. PCM also comes with a number of features. These include:
- an analysis engine, bulk analyzer, Package Conversion dashboard which helps in determining the state of a package and where you are in the overall process of converting your packages to applications
- The PCM plug-in which helps convert custom script wrappers to applications
- And of course the conversion process - Convert or Fix and Convert
With System Center 2012 SP1 Configuration Manager Beta being made available there is a new version of Package Conversion Manager. Please take a look below for the appropriate version of PCM to download and install.
In order to install Package Conversion Manager the ConfigMgr console must be installed. To find out more about the requirements for the ConfigMgr console please take a look at the information found here. There is a version of PCM for ConfigMgr 2012 and a version for ConfigMgr SP1 Beta. So depending on the version of the Configuration Manager console which is installed will depend on the version of PCM you will need to download. The sections below outlines each of the downloads that are available for PCM.
PCM Download for System Center 2012 SP1 Configuration Manager Package Conversion Manager 2.0 Beta
System Center 2012 SP1 Configuration Manager Package Conversion Manager 2.0 Beta has released and is available from the download page here. There are no new features or functionality in the 2.0 version of PCM over the previous version, however as there were a number of changes made in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 Beta, which are incompatible with the previously released version of PCM, a new version of Package Conversion Manager was required to be released. If you have System Center 2012 Configuration Manager 2012 RTW then please take a look at the section below. It is important to note that this version of PCM is available in English only.
To find out more about System Center 2012 SP1 Beta and the various files that can be downloaded take a look here.
PCM Download for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
If you have System Center 2012 Configuration Manager RTW you should not use the SP1 version above as it is not compatible, but instead should use the previously released version available here. As mentioned above there are no changes as far as features between the previously released version that is available in this section and the 2.0 version available above other than compatibility between consoles.
- For more information on PCM take a look at the information available from TechNet here in a previous blog post available here,
- In this blog post I provide a high level overview of Package Conversion Manager (PCM) as well as talk a bit about how you can migrate your packages from 2007 to 2012.
- To find out more on migrating objects from ConfigMgr 2007 to 2012 you can look here.
- To find out more about the various readiness states and the rules as to why a package would be set to a given state please take a look at this blog post.