Windows 10 ADK Boot image updates for Configuration Manager

Windows 10 has finally launched worldwide and now I am ready to start updating my boot images for deployment so what’s next…  First download the bits from the msdn page all the way at the bottom.

Next we have two options first being we have yet to deploy System Center Configuration Manager 2012 SP2 or System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2 SP1 if that is the case easy uninstall the Windows 8.1 ADK install the Windows 10 ADK reboot the site server and upgrade your site to the appropriate SP level and the boot images will be updated for you automatically.

Second maybe we were the eager beaver and already deployed the latest service packs in our environment how does this change things?  You are still going to need to uninstall the Windows 8.1 ADK and install the Windows 10 ADK and reboot but you will have to manually create and import your boot images for integration with Configuration Manager.

NOTE: Windows 10 ADK will need to be installed everywhere you have the Windows 8.1 ADK currently installed such as Central, Primary, Provider, Workstations etc.. so that we are at a consistent version in all locations.

Below are the sample commands needed to create boot images utilizing DISM that can then be Imported into Configuration Manager.  Adjust paths below for your environment and run the below commands from the “Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment” shortcut otherwise you will be launching the locally installed dism and you will receive a provisioning error.

image

# Create x86 Windows 10 ADK Boot Image
mkdir D:\WINPEx86\Mount

Copy "D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\x86\en-us\winpe.wim" D:\WINPEx86\boot.wim

dism.exe /mount-wim /wimfile:D:\WINPEx86\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:D:\WINPEx86\mount

dism.exe /image:D:\WINPEx86\mount /add-package /packagepath:"D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\x86\WinPE_OCs\winpe-wmi.cab"

dism.exe /image:D:\WINPEx86\mount /add-package /packagepath:"D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\x86\WinPE_OCs\winpe-scripting.cab"

dism.exe /image:D:\WINPEx86\mount /add-package /packagepath:"D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\x86\WinPE_OCs\winpe-wds-tools.cab"

dism.exe /unmount-wim /mountdir:D:\WINPEx86\mount /commit

# Create x64 Windows 10 ADK Boot Image
mkdir D:\WINPEx64\Mount

Copy "D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us\winpe.wim" D:\WINPEx64\boot.wim

dism.exe /mount-wim /wimfile:D:\WINPEx64\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:D:\WINPEx64\mount

dism.exe /image:D:\WINPEx64\mount /add-package /packagepath:"D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\winpe-wmi.cab"

dism.exe /image:D:\WINPEx64\mount /add-package /packagepath:"D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\winpe-scripting.cab"

dism.exe /image:D:\WINPEx64\mount /add-package /packagepath:"D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\WinPE_OCs\winpe-wds-tools.cab"

dism.exe /unmount-wim /mountdir:D:\WINPEx64\mount /commit

After you have ran the above commands you can simply import the boot.wim files into Configuration Manager and call it a day.  You should have two boot images with version 10.0.10240.16384.

image

NOTE: After you update the ADK on your site server to Windows 10 ADK you will not be able to edit older boot images in console you will have to manually edit them outside with dism if still needed.  Good news is the Windows 10 ADK supports Windows 7 and later so there should be little need to keep older boot images around.

Disclaimer: The information on this site is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, confers no rights, and is not supported by the authors or Microsoft Corporation. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified
in the
Terms of Use.

1. Jack Fetter says:

Brandon,

Thanks for the article, it’s tough to get the right info with these tools being so new. I uninstalled the ADK 8.1, rebooted and installed the ADK 10 (10.0.10240.16384) and followed the instructions above but when I went to import the W10 Boot Images by pointing
    to the WIM’s, they didn’t have a Boot Image, the second dialog with the drop-down, was blank. Not sure what I could have done wrong, the instructions above all ran fine with no errors…

Thx,

Jack

2. Jack Fetter says:

Odd, I can import these Boot Images on my Prod server, so there is something up with Dev environment that prevents it from seeing the partition index inside the Wim, no idea…

3. Hi jack glad this helped not sure this sounds like corrupted wim or not finalized properly does the system have AV installed? Try to import again and monitor the smsprov.log and that should give you a glimpse of what’s going on.

4. Erik van der Neut says:

I have the problem that boot.wim added to WDS (2008R2) does not start in an Hyper-V VM but starts on physical hardware.

5. If your boot.wim is on a share on a different server, make sure the computer account of the site server you’re importing them into has access to the share or you’ll get an 80070005 in smsprov.log. I also had problems importing the boot.wim on a CAS (failed
    to insert OSD binaries into the WIM file error), but it imported just fine on my primary site.

6. Chris says:

I used these instructions, and after importing the WinPE10 boot images, and deploying a Windows 10 Task sequence that used the WinPE 10 boot image, PXE stopped working on my Distribution points. Removing the WinPE10 boot images fixed things, but now I
    can’t deploy/test Windows 10 which would be really great. Has anyone experienced this, and if so can you share your fix. Thanks!

7. Dan Sells says:

I’m having the same issue as Jack Fetter. Anyone know why?

8. Michael G says:

I am having the same issue as Jack Fetter. I installed Windows 10 ADK and to no avail does SCCM pick up the new ADK configuration. Windows 10 machines do not come up in any software requirements list and when I try to import the new .wim files for boot
    media, there is no primary image attached.

The highest OS level I can deploy or push software to is Windows 8.1. It’s as if no changes were done during the upgrade from ADK 8 – 10.

Please assist.

9. Windows 10 ADK does not enable support for Windows 10 within ConfigMgr for that you would need to upgrade to ConfigMgr 2012 SP2 or ConfigMgr 2012 R2 SP1 to see these options.

10. Michael G says:

@Brandon Linton I have 2012 R2 SP1 installed with CU4.

11. Brandon B says:

Thanks Brandon, Worked perfect for me!

12. Josh says:

@Michael G There is no CU4 for 2012 R2 SP1. If you’re on CU4, you’re most likely on 2012 R2.

13. alex says:

I thought this would be the answer to our system constantly telling me "The specified file can not be imported. Make sure the file is not read only and you have read and write access to it" but after I tried to import the new ADK 10 wim files, I had the
    problem with it not offering a boot image. I then rolled back from 2012R2 CU2 to CU1 and it will now find the boot images but I get the access error once more. (CU2 obviously breaks something).
    I have added the computer account, the local administrator, domain admins, "everyone", pretty much every account thinkable to the security and share permissions but I still get the error. I’ve tried storing the wim files in various different locations, either
    on the network or locally and the same error persists.

14. alex says:

So I discovered ADK 8 wasn’t properly uninstalled (even though Programs & Features thought it was), which was probably causing me all the problems in the first place. I rolled back to SP1 CU4 then I had to use the adksetup.exe for 8.0 with the /uninstall
    switch and I got the whole install process in reverse, which looked a lot healthier just for starters. I’ve then installed adk 8.1 followed by SCCM 2012R2, followed by R2SP1 and all seems to be well.

15. Raxox says:

My friend, many thanks !!!!! Worked like a charm !

16. PatRick says:

This now works for adding 10586 boot images to SCCM 1511 as well (using the lastest Win 10 ADK). Thanks for sharing!!

17. Mark A-G says:

I’m curious about subsequent server installations once you have upgraded the site server to ADK 10. Do you still have to install ADK 8.1 then install the site system roles then remove 8.1 and install ADK 10 or can you install all the prerequisites and
    adk 10 on a new server in the hierarchy then deploy the site system roles to it? I’m doing a fresh installation and will be upgrading the primary server as part of the implementation. Then I’ll be adding servers to the hierarchy afterwards.

18. russell says:

Can’t add packages into boot.wim, get error 0xc0000135. Can this even be done on a Windows 7 PC? Do I need Windows 8.1 or 10?