How to Create and Import a WinPE 3.1 Boot image for use in ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 CU2

1) Install the WAIK 3.0 package on a remote system

NOTE: It is not recommended to have the ADK and WAIK installed on the same system.

2) Install the WAIK 3.1 Supplement update package

3) To install the supplemental update open a command prompt and perform the following command.

NOTE: 1131 Files should be copied.

4) Open the Deployment Tools Command Prompt

5) Follow the How to Create a Custom Windows PE Image guide to create the custom boot image.

NOTE: add required components:

WinPE-Scripting

WinPE-WMI

WinPE-WDS-Tools

6) Optionally add drivers to the wim image before completing step 5.

7) Copy the boot.wim file created in step 5 to your ConfigMgr server.

8) Name the boot image appropriately for good house keeping “WinPE 3.1 Boot Image x86

9) Open the ConfigMgr Console and Navigate to Software Library à Operating Systems à Boot images.

10) Select Add Boot Image

11) Specify the UNC Path to your custom boot image and select Next.

12) Supply the Name and Version of your boot image and select Next.

13)  Select Next on the Summary Screen.

14) Next let’s deploy the boot image to PXE enabled DP’s by selecting the following option in the boot image properties.

15) You should now have a functional WinPE 3.1 boot image to use with your legacy systems.

NOTE: Some tabs will appear greyed out in the Boot image properties this is normal as the following options are NOT supported with WinPE 3.1 boot images.

Adding drivers

◦Setting scratch space

◦Configuring prestart command

◦Configuring background image file

◦Enabling and disabling command prompt support (debug mode)

** Lastly you might also be able to copy your existing WinPE 3.1 boot images from your ConfigMgr RTM or ConfigMgr 2007 site for import into ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 CU2 but i have yet to test this…

Disclaimer: The information on this site is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, confers no rights, and is not supported by the authors or Microsoft Corporation. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified
in the
Terms of Use.

1. Glad it helped appreciate the feedback!

2. Did you ensure to apply the WinPE 3.1 Supplemental Update?  Did you supply a valid UNC Path to the boot image that ConfigMgr can access?  I would take a look at the smsprov.log on the site server and or the distmgr.log to see if there are any errors.

3. @herbuveaux No you do not need to have WAIK installed on the server and it should not be or you will have problems.  Many things could cause this but first i would verify you don't have Mcafee installed on the server or any other AV blocking this action from happening.  You can validate the distmgr.log and or smsprov.log to see if there are any errors during the process.  what Windows ADK version do you have installed on the server and where are you performing these steps on the server itself or from a remote console?

Thanks,

Brandon

4. Yes ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 CU2 is required for this to work.

support.microsoft.com/…/2854009

Thanks,

Brandon

5. gwchandler says:

Do you know why my drop down won't populate with the newly created wim file at the beginning of the import stage? I followed your instructions exactly and have applied CU2 successfully.

6. gwchandler says:

This was probably just stupidity on my part but it seems that I had to import the boot image on the site server itself not a remote console, which is what I was trying. Forgive me…your tutorial works great and exactly what I needed so thank you!

7. adam says:

Tested and working in my 2012 SP1 CU2 lab, I'm really glad MS have made this tweak in CU2 it really helps us Admins that have to look after a few remaining bits of much older kit that don't support 4.0 Many thanks!

8. herbuveaux says:

I get to step 13 (trying to add the boot.wim to the boot images in SCCM) and get the error message "You can not import this boot image. Only finalized boot images are supported. For more information press F1." when I try to finish the process. I have unmounted/ committed the wim and it is named "boot.wim".

I see other people historically had this problem (social.technet.microsoft.com/…/sccm-2012-sp1-cant-add-boot-image-only-finalized-boot-images-are-supported) but there's not much help there. Do I need to have WAIK installed on the SCCM server (I thought that conflicts with the new WADK install?)

9. herbuveaux says:

smsprov.exe throws errors like: "failed to insert OSD binaries into WIM file", and ERROR> Error -2146498530 returned to execute the command line: "C:Program Files (x86)Windows Kits8.0Assessment and Deployment KitDeployment Toolsamd64DISMdism.exe" /Image:"C:WindowsTEMPBootImages{67F77DE0-0762-4FAF-9F17-D9768EB7D22E}mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:Program Files (x86)Windows Kits8.0Assessment and Deployment KitWindows Preinstallation Environmentamd64WinPE_OCsWinPE-Scripting.cab" 8/13/2013 2:05:15 PM 8044 (0x1F6C)

Failed to install required components into the boot image C:WindowsTEMPBootImages{67F77DE0-0762-4FAF-9F17-D9768EB7D22E}mount 8/13/2013 2:05:15 PM 8044 (0x1F6C)

*~*~e:qfentssmssiteserversdk_providersmsprovsspbootimagepackage.cpp(3687) : Failed to insert OSD binaries into the WIM file~*~* 8/13/2013 2:05:36 PM 8044 (0x1F6C)

10. herbuveaux says:

I am performing this from the server itself, and I don't have McAfee installed, but I'll turn off my AV and see…

11. herbuveaux says:

Just turned off AV; it didn't help. No errors in distmgr. Some other errors from smsprov: ************ WBEM Missing property TransformAnalysisDate 8/13/2013 2:13:58 PM 8044 (0x1F6C)

************ WBEM Missing property TransformReadiness 8/13/2013 2:13:58 PM 8044 (0x1F6C)

12. herbuveaux says:

ADK on the server is version 8.59.25584.

13. herbuveaux says:

Am I right that this looks like SCCM is trying to add packages to my boot image, when all I'm trying to do is add the boot image itself? Why are there those lines about adding the scripting package? Didn't I just do that by hand, and wouldn't that mean it's trying to add WinPE 4.0 packages into a 3.1 image?

14. correct are you positive that you have CU2 installed on the server itself and on the admin console on the server?

15. herbuveaux says:

Thank you for the quick help. Looks like I'm on CU1. Do I have to have CU2 for this to work?

16. herbuveaux says:

OK, I suppose I should read the title of your blog post carefully ;). I will install CU2 and see how it goes– actually I was making assumptions about my own server and hadn't realized we weren't on CU2 yet.

17. Thanks for the great post Brandon. I am able to confirm that importing a WinPE 3.1 boot image from a ConfigMgr 2007 site into a ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 CU2 site works, and it already includes the required components.

18. Scott Black says:

One major issue we had when importing our SCCM 2007 boot image is that there is no way to enable command line support in the ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 console for the legacy boot images. I found this link today that mentions adding a line in the TSBOOTSHELL.ini
    to enable command line support. Hope this helps anyone else running into this problem.

19. correct that option is disabled on legacy boot images if you would like to enable F8 Command shell support the best way is below:

1. Open a WMI instance corresponding to the boot image package you imported using "Open Instance". The package ID for the boot image can be found in the boot image list view under the Image ID column in ConfigMgr Admin Console.

SMS_BootImagePackage.PackageID = “<packageID>”

1.Update property EnableLabShell and set its value to True.

2.Refresh the list view in Admin Console and right- click on the imported boot image and select Update Distribution Points action.

20. Scott Black says:

Thank you Brandon for your response I am going to give that a shot. This will help us so much!

21. Kostas Liakakis says: