The Microsoft® Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP) makes it easy for you to assess your current IT infrastructure and determine the right Microsoft technologies for your IT needs.
Version 3.2 has been released! - Monday November 3rd 2008
MAP is a powerful inventory, assessment, and reporting tool that can securely run in small or large IT environments without requiring the installation of agent software on any computers or devices. The data and analysis provided by this Solution Accelerator can significantly simplify the planning and migrating process.
MAP expands upon the assessment features included in the Windows Vista Hardware Assessment Solution Accelerator. These features include Windows Vista assessment, Microsoft Office 2007 assessment, and non-Windows device inventory, using the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). Reports for these assessment scenarios are localized in French, German, Japanese, Korean, Brazilian Portuguese, and Spanish.
The key features include:
- Secure and Agentless Inventory
- Comprehensive Data Analysis
- In-Depth Readiness Reporting
MAP assists you in planning and deploying for these technologies:
- SQL Server Database Instance Discovery (NEW!)
- Microsoft Online Services Needs Assessment and Survey (NEW!)
- Forefront Client Security/NAP Readiness Assessment (NEW!)
- Power Savings Calculator (NEW!)
- Virtualization Infrastructure Assessment (e.g. reporting the mapping of hosts by guests) (NEW!)
- Windows Server 2008 Hardware Assessment
- Server Consolidation Reports and Proposals (Hyper-V or Virtual Server 2005 R2)
- Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007 Hardware Assessment
- Desktop Security Assessment to determine if desktops have anti-virus and anti-malware programs installed and up-to-date, or if the Windows Firewall is turned on
- Microsoft Application Virtualization (formerly SoftGrid)
For details about the new release and the beneifts for customers and partners read the article about MAP 3.1 published by the MAP team.
For further information visit the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit Site or the Microsoft Microsoft Assessment and Planning Team Blog
You may also find the Microsoft IT Showcase Website a valuable resource which focuses on how Microsoft does IT. Best practices and experiences from Microsoft IT that give a unique, inside view into how Microsoft plans for, deploys, and manages its own enterprise solutions.