Wow! It’s been an exciting week. Here’s a sampling of news highlights of members of the BizSpark One program, identifying a small number of the best companies in BizSpark, which is now comprised of over 40,000 startups.
Week of August 14-20, 2011
- § André Monteiro and Bruno Medeiros, the entrepreneurs behind Compra3, an online social network for group buying, were featured in the publication Sourcing Brazil. With over 600,000 registered members, Compra3 has struck deals with some of the biggest web retailers in Brazil, like Lojas Americanas, WalMart, Ponto frio and Submarino.
- § Cortexica, creators of a bio-inspired vision system enabling intelligent image recognition, was named one of Mobile Entertainment’s Top 50 Mobile Innovators. The company has released an API, which allows developers to automatically upload their images and build an app that interacts with Cortexica’s system.
- § Evernote, a cloud-based service that helps you remember everything, was named one of Time Magazine’s 50 Best Websites of 2011. Evernote held its first ecosystem event, the Evernote Trunk Conference last week, and announced their acquisition of Skitch. The conference was also the launch of the company’s first developer competition, where they announced the winners and finalists, including the $50,000 grand prize winner, Touchanote.
- § Flite, a leader in cloud-based advertising, was highlighted in Business Insider, discussing the need for a refresh in display advertising. Flite CEO, Will Price, talked about their approach of enabling brands to virtually adapt their ads in real-time based on timely content, such as themes, trends and memes of the day.
- § ParcelGenie, an instant gift messaging service was named as Mobile Entertainment’s Top 50 Mobile Innovators, identifying the best of British mobile by a panel of judges including VCs, analysts, and entrepreneurs.
- § Retrevo, one of largest consumer electronics shopping and review sites was recognized as one of Time Magazine’s 50 Best Websites of 2011.