From Jekyll to Hexo

Two years ago, I dove into the wonderful world of static blog generators when I left my TechNet blog behind and started using Jekyll to generate an Azure web site. With my newfound freedom from complex content management systems, I raved about Jekyll in a blog post. But once the honeymoon was over, some cracks…

0

A History of Cached Restrictions in Exchange

In this series of posts, I’m going to discuss three basic approaches to searching the content of Exchange mailboxes, and the tradeoffs that come with them. This series is for developers who are writing applications that talk to Exchange, or scripters who are using EWS Managed API from Powershell. I’m not going to be talking…

0

Use MAPIFolders for the TNEF issue

I’ve written a couple of previous posts on the corrupt TNEF issue that causes this error: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConversionFailedException: The message content has become corrupted. —> Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConversionFailedException: Content conversion: Failed due to corrupt TNEF (violation status: 0x00008000) For the history, see this post and this post. Previously, the solution was the Delete-TNEFProps.ps1 script. Unfortunately, that script has…

0

Database bloat in Exchange 2010

I keep deciding not to write this post, because Exchange 2010 is out of mainstream support. And yet, we are still getting these cases from time to time, so I suppose I will finally write it, and hopefully it helps someone. In Exchange 2010, we had several bugs that led to the database leaking space….

0

DsQuerySitesByCost and public folder referrals

In Exchange 2010 and older, when you mount a public folder database, the Information Store service asks Active Directory for the costs from this site to every other site that contains a public folder database. This is repeated about every hour in order to pick up changes. If a client tries to access a public…

0

Automating data collection with Powershell

One of the challenges with analyzing complex Exchange issues is data collection. Once the server goes into the failed state, any data collection at that point only shows us what the failed state looks like. It doesn't show us how it went from working to failing, and sometimes, that's what we need to see in…


Directory Name Must Be Less Than 248 Characters

Over the holiday weekend, I was deleting some old projects out of my coding projects folder when Powershell returned an error stating, "The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters." I found…


TNEF property problem update

Back in January, I wrote a blog post about PF replication failing due to corrupt TNEF. The problem is caused by the presence of a couple of properties that have been deprecated and shouldn't be present on items anymore. At the time I wrote that post, we thought you could run the cleanup script to…


MfcMapi error when opening public folders

There are a lot of little problems I run across that I never investigate, simply because there's no impact and no one seems to care. I have my hands full investigating issues that people actually care about, so investing time to chase down something else is usually not a good use of my time.


Working around findstr's regexp limitations

It's my job to solve difficult problems involving Exchange Server, and this often involves a lot of various types of tracing. Almost daily, I find myself needing to parse through huge amounts of text to find the relevant information. For one issue alone, I currently have over 20 GB of traces in the form of…