Support for YouTube videos in PowerPoint returns

Updates for both PowerPoint 2010 and PowerPoint 2013, were released on Tuesday (4/8) that reintroduces support for YouTube videos into PowerPoint. The feature goes live on April 15. You need to install the updates listed for your PowerPoint version to be ready.

PowerPoint 2010 and 2013 for Windows originally included support for embedding YouTube videos that were in an old format that YouTube no longer supports.  As this old format started disappearing from the YouTube service, the support for YouTube videos in PowerPoint started faltering. These changes led us to disable support for inserting online videos from the product because we could not reliably support playing back YouTube videos.

What the update brings

Since the time playback of online videos was disabled in PowerPoint, the PowerPoint team has been hard at work to re-enable support for YouTube in a way that is resilient to changes and more robust. For PowerPoint 2013 we now use a browser to host these videos, which provides us the resiliency. This not only means that we can support HTML5 videos but also that we will be able to playback YouTube videos as long as they can playback in any browser. Both PowerPoint 2010 and 2013 for Windows are updated to include support for YouTube videos in the newer HTML5 and Shockwave Flash ActionScript 3.0 formats.

Note: The insert online video option is limited to YouTube support for both PowerPoint 2010 and 2013.

Online Help Topics (available by 4/15)

1. Please try the links again. These all seem to be working now.

I too am having the exact same issue with PowerPoint 2013 after installing all patches, as outlined in document and any patch available on Windows Update. The online video popup box allows our fleet to view / search YouTube clips but soon as you select
    and click insert, another popup box appears with contacting…. but nothing ever appears in the slide. Would be great for a solution to found to this issue!

MSIT People Aspirations Last year MSIT’s People Aspirations team asked me to share my Microsoft certification

Pingback from YouTube videos in PowerPoint | FCA-ITS

Pingback from Office 365 | error : “To play the selected item, you must install a later version of the Adobe Flash Player. To download the Adobe Flash Player, go to the Adobe website” when I try to play the video through PowerPoint 2013 | Fair Technologies

7. free proxy server says:

you can easily unblock the you tube where you want to use the proxy server site. the most of the people use the proxy serve site for the business and they can earn the money from these site if you know about the you tube proxy than buy the prosy site for
    your site.

8. easer says:

yoube uk 6 3A3

9. easer says:

yoube uk 6 3A3

10. easer says:

yoube uk 6 3A3

11. janet says:

I am using the developer tool and adding movie url and removing watch? etc. but the video still will not play in powerpoint 2013 – other saved videos work (the sample MS video) but not when I create the link using shockwave etc

12. BFox says:

I have also tried using the Developer method and I still can’t videos to play in PowerPoint. I did find a video player in the app store that has worked for the time being. Oddly enough I can insert YouTube videos into Word and they play there. Any idea

13. janet says:

Hi BFox – yes the insert youtube videos works great in Word. I read there were YouTube vs MS issues but Word seems fine. I have tried to play that video app but when I download it I cannot find it in "MyApps" at all. Unbelievable that I can not embed youtube
    videos and have to resort to a URL and link out to a different window and back again – very unprofessional. I also found a MS page that said this issue was fixed (april 2014) and to download the updates but again that did nothing. Not sure what to do next?

14. kbert says:

Same issues with powerpoint. I have both 2010 and 2013 and neither will play shockwave objects. Word will but that doesn’t really help. I tried inserting the word doc as an object in the powerpoint and it wouldn’t play the video. I have the latest updates
    on both 2010 and 2013 (which are on different computers, one with Win7 and Win8.1). So it doesn’t seem to matter which version or which OS it is on. I’ll resort to using a hyperlink. I agree with Janet…very unprofessional and also very irritating.

15. Tim Bailen says:

I get the error "powerpoint can’t insert a video from this embed code" in Powerpoint 2013. I attempted to install the fixes. When I do:

KB2837627 installer says "There are no products affected by this package installed on this system."

KB2817636 installer says "The update is already installed on this system."

I continue to get the "powerpoint can’t insert a video from this embed code" when using an embed code from Youtube.

I have 32 bit PowerPoint according to "About Powerpoint" and I used the 32 bit version of the fixes.

16. John says:

Same as Tim. Albeit I have the 64-bit version of 2013. Same messages, and it still doesn’t work

17. Jennifer C says:

Installed new "fixes"
    Same problem. Won’t play.

18. georgiaps says:

We have Dell 380,390, HP 800, 8300
    We only needed patch 2837627 on the Dell’s and HP8300. But that patch wouldn’t work on the HP 800, the 2817636 worked. My questions are; Why two patches, and any idea why the 2837627 patch wouldn’t work with the HP 800? Thanks

19. Dan_IT says:

As instructed, updated Microsoft Office 2010 to Service Pack 2, then installed 2837579. No success, I still cannot install YouTube embed code into the PPoint 2010 presentation.

20. Sjoerd says:

Does not work or not anymore.

21. Dalia says:

I Installed both the SP2 and the KB2837579 fix, and still cannot see youtube videos in powerpoint 2010.
    Now the " PowerPoint cannot insert a video from this embed code…." message is gone, and a black square appear, but when trying to play, getting a new message – "The linked file was unavailable and can’t be opened".

Nothing on the web to help with that. any ideas?

22. Seth Technet says:

I know this is old, but I have the same trouble with the KB updates. I get the error "There are no products affected by this package installed on this system". I tried all of the options (both 32 and 64 bit) even though I know I have the 32 bit version
    installed. I cannot embed any youtube videos. Has anyone figured out what is wrong here?

23. David says:

Same problem as Seth

24. Linda says:

I’m having the same problem as the others above. I’ve tried updating Shockwave, installing all the MS Powerpoint 2013 updates (KB 2837627 and KB2817636 to no avail. Since I teach using PowerPoint, I’m finding this excruciatingly frustrating. Spent most
    of the day yesterday trying to get this to work on my computer. Does anyone at Microsoft have any idea what is/could be causing this? I’ve looked at every setting I can think of, started and restarted my computer. Ugh!!

25. Riz says:

I too have the same message as others have said, i.e. "There are no products affected by this package installed on this system".

It might be worth Microsoft testing a fix next time before releasing it.

26. paul says:

Installing the latest Shockwave Flash did it for me. I also switched the default browser to IE, but I think it was the Shockwave installation that did it

27. John says:

Tried updating shockwave sill no luck with this.

28. Matt says:

Installing the latest version of Flash for IE on Windows 7 for PP 2010 fixed it for me.

29. Kyle says:

For those of you who get the "There are no products affected by this package installed on this system". I’ve spent hours trying to fix this issue on a 64x windows OS only to try a last ditch effort of installing the update listed as x32 and it worked.
    Hours of reading and trial & error only to find a stupid fix like this.

30. Erik says:

Same problems here….ridiculous

31. Richard says:

We have been working with Microsoft regarding this issue.

They have confirmed there is another bug relating to IE11 and Powerpoint. The bug fix is in, but as of today is still in the backlog queue.

They have given a number of workarounds but none are secure of viable. i.e. run as admin everything, revert to IE9, etc.

At this moment in time we have to wait to see if / when the fix will come out, but it is in the pipeline.

32. Julius says:

I noticed that PowerPoint 2010 accepts the standard youtube embed code, but it does not accept the ‘privacy-enhanced’ embed code, which is identical the first except the domain is instead of just

Machine has been patched with 2920812 (which superseded 2880517 which superseded 2837579).

Is this by design in PowerPoint 2010?
    Is this fixed in 2013 or 2016?