Microsoft Deployment – Released

Well it looks like I no longer have to answer the question “when will Microsoft Deployment be released?” with the response “sometime soon :)”.

Microsoft Deployment is now released!!

I wont go into all the details of what MDT does, you will find that information in many blogs (including my previous and future posts) and within the MDT documentation itself. Instead I would simply congratulate the development team for producing a worthy successor to BDD.

If you want to download MDT then you will find it here.

Disclaimer: The information on this site is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, confers no rights, and is not supported by the authors or Microsoft Corporation. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified in the Terms of Use.

1. Ben Hunter says:

Hi Andy,

What is the exact error you are getting?

You may also want to have a look at the LTIsysprep.log file in the c:minintsmsosdosdlogs folder. This may give some suggestion as to why it is failing.

2. Ben Hunter says:

Hi Dan,

30 installs, thats alot 🙂

MDT will hopefully reduce then need for so many builds. You can create an $OEM$ folder for each task sequence you create in MDT.

Simply create a $OEM$ folder in the task sequence folder, i.e. distributioncontrolTSname$OEM$

3. Ben Hunter says:

Junction points is a know issue. Here is a batch file that I use to fix the issue:

REM ******************************

rd "Documents and Settings"

mklink /J "Documents and Settings" C:Users

icacls "Documents and Settings" /deny Everyone:(RD)

rd "Application Data"

mklink /J "Application Data" C:ProgramData

icacls "Application Data" /deny Everyone:(RD)

rd "Desktop"

mklink /J "Desktop" C:UsersPublicDesktop

rd "Documents"

mklink /J "Documents" C:UsersPublicDocuments

rd "Favorites"

mklink /J "Favorites" C:UsersPublicFavorites

rd "Start Menu"

mklink /J "Start Menu" "C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsStart Menu"

rd Templates

mklink /J "Templates" C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsTemplates

rd "All Users"

mklink /D "All Users" C:ProgramData

rd "Default User"

mklink /J "Default User" C:UsersDefault

rd "Application Data"

mklink /J "Application Data" C:UsersDefaultAppDataRoaming

rd Cookies

mklink /J Cookies C:UsersDefaultAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsCookies

rd "Local Settings"

mklink /J "local Settings" C:UsersDefaultAppDataLocal

icacls "local Settings" /deny Everyone:(RD)

rd "My Documents"

mklink /J "My Documents" C:UsersDefaultDocuments

rd NetHood

mklink /J NetHood "C:UsersDefaultAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsNetwork Shortcuts"

rd PrintHood

mklink /J PrintHood "C:UsersDefaultAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsPrinter Shortcuts"

rd Recent

mklink /J Recent C:UsersDefaultAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsRecent

rd SendTo

mklink /J SendTo C:UsersDefaultAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsSendTo

rd "Start Menu"

mklink /J "Start Menu" "C:UsersDefaultAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsStart Menu"

rd Templates

mklink /J Templates C:UsersDefaultAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsTemplates

rd "Application Data"

mklink /J "Application Data" C:UsersDefaultAppDataLocal

icacls "Application Data" /deny Everyone:(RD)

rd History

mklink /J History C:UsersDefaultAppDataLocalMicrosoftWindowsHistory

rd "Temporary Internet Files"

mklink /J "Temporary Internet Files" "C:UsersDefaultAppDataLocalMicrosoftWindowsTemporary Internet Files"

rd "My Music"

mklink /J "My Music" C:UsersDefaultMusic

rd "My Pictures"

mklink /J "My Pictures" C:UsersDefaultPictures

rd "My Videos"

mklink /J "My Videos" C:UsersDefaultVideos

rd "My Music"

mklink /J "My Music" C:UsersPublicMusic

rd "My Pictures"

mklink /J "My Pictures" C:UsersPublicPictures

rd "My Videos"

mklink /J "My Videos" C:UsersPublicVideos

REM ******************************

4. Ben Hunter says:

the hard disk is mounted as X: in refresh scenarios only. This is because the client reebots to a Windows PE image stored on the hard drive. The image gets the C: letter assigned when it boots up. So OSD then assigns the letter X: to the first partition on the hard drive.

Simple really 🙂

5. Ben Hunter says:

Hi Christian,

There have been no database schema changes between BDD 2007 and MDT.

The issue must be caused by something else :).

Hi Ben,

I’m having difficulities capturing an XP image. It works if I use the Source XP, but when I use a preveously captured XP.wim as a source I get errors during the capture phase.

I get an unhandled error by LTISysprep.

7. Christian Hanzal says:

Updating from BDD2007 to MD did not work.

It seems as if the Database Schema has been changed – No Client was listed after upgading.

Even after setting up a new database and applying the necessary modifications i wasnt able to install a client.

Hopefully MD dint change my Database so i can go back to BDD…

8. ikszkom says:

hello Ben,

it’s not really related to this entry, but that’s your latest one.

So, I’m deploying a Vista image by SMS OSD, the problem I have is that the junction point C:Documents and Settings points to X:Users and that’s causing application issues.

I guess OSD is mounting the disk volume to X: while restoring the image.

I checked the documentations but haven’t really seen it mentioned anywhere as a possible issue. Am I doing something wrong here, or is this the expected behavior?

Currently I do a workaround by deleting the junction point and recreating it with linkd.exe.

Any better ideas?

9. ikszkom says:

oh, thanks for the heads up, totally forgot about the Public/Default folders, and that we have mklink in Vista. 😉

why does OSD mount the hard disk as X: ?

10. ikszkom says:

it really is 🙂

and i guess there won’t be a solution except for this workaround as long as windows is bound to drive letters.

11. Dan_IT says:

Hi Ben,

Thanks so much for alerting me to this update. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the whole BDD way of doing things.

Currently I’m kicking off unattended windows XP installs from Win-PE using the winnt32.exe. I currently have about 30 distinct installs for both Windows XP and Windows 2003 using the $OEM$ network install method.

I see in the Distribution folder a $OEM$ folder, so I assume this method is also supported in the new Microsoft Deployment. Can you give a quick run down on how to migrate to this platform for legacy OS (xp / 2003) $OEM$ folders?

12. A. Balthazor says:

Using your batchfile to restore some junction points deleted by Creative driver installation programs.  Thanks for posting it.

Creative driver installers delete the All Users and Default User junctions from the c:users directory.  I modified your batchfile to restore just these junctions:

mklink /D "All Users" C:ProgramData

mklink /J "Default User" C:UsersDefault

However, after running your batchfile, I am able manually traverse the junctions – I can click on them and I am re-directed to the ProgramData and usersDefault directories respectively.

Most other junctions don’t allow this ‘manual’ behavior, giving just an ‘Access Denied’ message, which I thought was needed to prevent redundant backing up of data.

So is it normal to be able to traverse these junctions manually or should I be using the icacls command to deny access, similar to other lines in your batch file?

Thanks for your assistance.  We’ve already alerted Creative to the problem, and at last report are attempting to reproduce the behavior.

-A. Balthazor