BDD 2007 – Tips and Tricks – Multiple Keyboard Locales

I have had recently had a couple of enquires from people having issues with setting multiple keyboard locales.

When setting the “KeyboardLocale” value using a Lite Touch new computer deployment any settings specified in the CustomSettings.ini are being ignored.

To solve this problem, update the KeyboardLocale line in the ZTIGather.xml file to set allow overwrites to true.

<property id=”KeyboardLocale” type=”string” overwrite=”true” description=”Locale used for Keyboard, can be either 0409:00000409 or en-US format (default is OS Default)” />

You then need to make sure that you skip the locale selection screen, otherwise it will override any values specified in the customsettings.ini. Here is an example of the rules you will need to skip this screen:

SkipLocaleSelection = YES

UserLocale = en-NZ

SystemLocale = en-NZ

UIlanguage = en-US

KeyboardLocale = 0413:00020409;0413:00000409;0409:00020409;0409:00000409;1409:00001409

When making this change you need to be aware of its effects. This will cause the last value gathered during rule processing to be the one used. So for example if you specify a KeyboardLacale in the database and it is also specified in the Default section then the last section processed will win(normally the first section will win), which usually means the values in the default section will win.

For more information on rule processing see this blog.

Disclaimer: The information on this site is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, confers no rights, and is not supported by the authors or Microsoft Corporation. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified in the Terms of Use.

Hi Rich,

Yes you do have to update your boot images.

Ben

Hi Rich,

There is no automated way to do this that I know of. However you could use the location features of the BDD DB to set the locale settings.

Ben

Hi Rich,

The locale for the US should be 0409:00000409. you had 49 on the end not 409.

Maybe this is causing the issue.

Ben

Ben,

I gotcha.  Once the bootstrap.ini has been modified to the above, which it is, do I need to update the Deployment Points and redistribute the boot.wim to WDS?

Rich

These settings are for Windows Vista. For XP you need to use different settings. for example the userlocale setting should be a numeric value:

UserLocale=0409:00000409

What settings are you using in the customsettings.ini and your unattend.txt/sysprep.inf files?

Ben

Hi Brent,

BDD shouldn’t overwrite any "default" settings. What happens if you remove the regional settings stuff from the customsettings.ini file?

Ben

Ben,

This has been working the whole time and I didn’t realize it.  My boot usb was booting to the same distribution share, however, I was using an older boot.wim file.

All is working with this now and thanks for your help.

Rich

Hi Brent,

You need to put these settings in the unattend.txt/sysprep.inf file for most of these settings.

These settings are generally used for Vista only.

The configuration reference document lists which settings can be used in each OS.

Ben

Hi Rich,

The setting you are applying is the default setting so it should just work witout you needing to specify a value.

What is the exact error you are seeing?

Ben

Hello.

I use these parameters but it still doesn’t work.

LanguageGroup=2,1

SystemLocale=00000405

UserLocale=00000405

InputLocale=0409:00000409,0405:00010405

Thank you.

Michal

Hey Ben,

Sorry, that was a typo.  I do have the correct number – 409 for Keyboard Locale.  Any other ideas?  As far as you can see is everything else set right?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Unfortunately you cannot set credentials with WDS. You will have to wait intil Windows PE is loaded at which point the LTI process will prompt you for credentials.

Her is a bootstrap.ini that should work for you.

[Settings]

Priority=Default

[Default]

DeployRoot=\SERVERDistribution$

SkipBDDWelcome=YES

Ben

Are you using XP or Vista?

Also I would suggect putting these settings directly in the unattend.txt file if you are deploying XP.

Ben

I’m using BDD 2007 for distribution of Win XP on new computers, but I’m really not able to change regional settings, keyboard or add keyboard. Always it’s set to OS default. I’ve tried your suggestions but nothing helps :(

Michal

Hi Ben,

If you have updated the unattend.xml to include both languages then french will be installed. What happens if you do not include it in the unattend.xml?

Ben

Hi Andy,

You can do this by specifying KeyboardLocale value in the bootstrap.ini.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Actually, I don’t get an error.  What I’m trying to accomplish is for my techs to PXE boot to WDS to deploy an image from MDT.  As soon as the Tech hits F12, I want it to take them to the screen where they enter their network credentials.

I could try to update the DP again and redistribute the boot.wim to WDS…Does everything look good for my boostrap.ini to accomplish my goal?

Rich

Ben,

Unfortunately, my "fix" didn’t work.  Any suggestions?

Rich

19. Andy says:

Great Blog….

Maybe offtopic, but any hints on howto change the default keyboard used by the litetouchpe_x86.iso or wim ?

thanks

andy

20. Rich Wright says:

Ben,

Any Way to get Vista to detect what keyboard Locale Vista is being deployed to and default to that?  I am running SMS OSD and created a image for WW deployment.  I have specified multiple keyboardlocales which creates that dropdown list in the lower right when Vista first loads but always defaults to english US.

21. Rich says:

Hi Ben,

Another great post.  I’m deploying XP SP2 with MDT.  I want to bypass the BDD Welcome screen where it asks for the keyboard type.  I want United States to be entered automatically.

Here is what I have in my bootstrap.ini and it is not working.

SkipBDDWelcome=YES

SkipLocaleSection=YES

KeyboardLocale=0409:0000049

Am I missing anything?  Do I need to enter anything else in the cs.ini?

Rich

22. Rich says:

Ben,

Think I figured out what I was looking for.  It appears I have the proper information contained in the boostrap.ini, however, I need to update the deployment point and recreate the iso and the wim file.  Then redistribute it to WDS.

Rich

23. Dave says:

Hi Ben (and everyone),

I’m trying to automate an XP install for various international sites, but while the Deployment Wizard will prompt for the keyboardlocale, it isn’t prompting for the (user/system/input) locale.

I’ve tried setting "SkipLocaleSelection=NO" in cs.ini, as well as not including it at all (should default to "No" anyway), but it’s skipping that question and defaulting the locale to 0409 (and none of my sites are in 0409). It does prompt for TimeZone and that is working correctly.

I’m having the same result on both a Lab and Media build.

I’m starting to wonder if I’m missing something from my XP source files…

Any help appreciated :)

Cheers,

Dave

24. BenS says:

Hey guys i am using MDT and am doing a french OS install through LTI and i have edited the unattend.xml to have french language (0c0c) and a canadian multilingual keyboard (00011009) and also English Laguage (0409) and a US keyboard (00000409) and all the laguages installed properly but the french france is still there as a language and a keyboard layout how do i remove the french france so it does not get installed at all.

25. Brent says:

Heya All,

I have a similar problem to Dave above.  I am deploying Windows XP through BDD, but no matter what I do I cannot set the Input Locale.

I have the following in my unattend.txt:

LanguageGroup=1

SystemLocale=00001409

UserLocale=00001409

InputLocale=1409:00001409,1409:00001409

InputLocale_DefaultUser=1409:00001409,1409:00001409

But it still sets the InputLocale to US.

Also on a small off topic.  Is anyone aware of how I can do this on a global scale for workstations that are already built?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

26. Brent says:

Thanks for your reply Ben, unfortunately that is exactly the problem.  These settings are in the Unattend.txt file but appear to be over written back to the OS Default by the BDD Process. :(

27. Brent says:

Thanks again for the reply Ben.  I have discovered the issue was not infact related to BDD.

I found some information on the net that the Regional Settings section in the Unattend.txt sometimes fail to correctly set the Regional Settings in Windows XP.

The solution to this can be found here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289125 in the bottom section to use an answer file to modify [RegionalSettings] items after Setup or Sysprep is complete.

I am using the $oem$ folder to push the answer file to the hard drive and then using a Task to action it.