DirectAccess 2012…the book!

As most of you probably heard, with the release of Windows Server 2012, DirectAccess is now tightly integrated into the server operating system. This is a significant development for this technology, which will make it much more available and affordable to many organizations. There are also some technical changes and improvements that will make it easier to deploy. The technology is also referred to as Unified Remote Access (URA).

For the past few months, I’ve been working on a new book covering this topic, and it will be finished and released in a few months. The book will be approximately 280 pages long, and covers topics such as:

• Introduction to IPv6 and IPv4/IPv6 interoperability
  • Planning your deployment
  • Preparing a Group Policy infrastructure
  • Planning and configuring a certificate infrastructure
  • Planning and configuring client access
  • multi-site deployment
  • Enhanced configurations for infrastructure servers
  • NAP and OTP enhancements
  • Monitoring and Troubleshooting

As the book develops, I’ll post more news here, so check back often!

1. Benoît SAUTIERE says:

Great news. SO no need form me to translate my french DirectAccess book.

2. ColinPGolden says:

I can wait for URA. Configuring multi-site DA gateways with external ISATAP routing configuration has been a challenge. The ability to configure multiple DA Gateways will be a godsend.

I'll keep my eye out for the book publication.

3. Matthias Gut says:

Dear Ben,

great blog,

great book.

I am really looking forward to order it.

We were also with DA since the first day :-]

Best regards from germany,

4. Christian Renault says:

Looking forward to it Ben !

Thanks for all the hardwork !

5. Don Andango says:

Ben with this DA integration into Server 2012, can you shed some light on the future of UAG as a product? Why would one invest in it at this point?

6. Ben Ari says:

Hi Don,

I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to discuss the future of UAG. UAGs product team will release information about UAG's future version when they deem it appropriate. What I can say is that DirectAccess is one feature of UAG, and UAG has many other features that make it a worthy product to have. If you have purchased UAG for the sole purpose of DirectAccess, then moving to Windows Server with Unfied Remote Access is the logical next step for you. Almost all UAG customers use it for application publishing (with or without DirectAccss), so for such organizations, continuing to invest in it makes perfect sense, as it has no real competition in application publishing of Microsofts products.

7. Jos Berentsen says:

Do yoy have un update regarding the release of your book ?

8. erez ben ari says:

I recently updated the blog saying that i finished the body of the book, and its going through editing and reviews now. With some luck it will be out in December or January! Hopefully, asap!