Today I was helping one of my customer with creating the UPS sync connection on SharePoint 2010 environment and ran into the below errors, after going through all the dramas I was able to found the cause and fix it. Thought of sharing it with all:
Unable to process Create message
In the Application event log:
Source: Forefront Identity Manager
Event ID: 3
Microsoft.ResourceManagement: System.InvalidOperationException: Retrieve schema failed
at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Utilities.ExceptionManager.ThrowException(Exception exception)
at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.ActionProcessor.SyncConfigActionProcessor.Create(String typeName, IList`1 createParameters, Guid creator, Guid cause)
at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.ActionProcessor.SyncConfigActionProcessor.ProcessInputRequest(RequestType request)
at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.ActionProcessor.ActionDispatcher.ProcessInputRequest(RequestType request)
at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.WebServices.RequestDispatcher.ExecuteAction(RequestType request)
at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.WebServices.RequestDispatcher.ExecuteAction[ResponseBodyType](RequestType request)
at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.WebServices.RequestDispatcher.DispatchRequest[ResponseBodyType](RequestType request, Guid requestIdentifier, Object redispatchSingleInstanceKey)
at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.WebServices.RequestDispatcher.DispatchRequest[ResponseBodyType](RequestType request)
at Microsoft.ResourceManagement.WebServices.ResourceManagementService.Create(Message request)
1. Found that the domain FQDN is different than the NetBIOS name, while creating the sync connection ( Under the Forest Name column) used the NetBIOS name of the domain instead of the FQDN.
2. Even after using the NetBIOS name we were running into the same error . Checked the OU containers we were selecting in the sync connection and found that those containers doesn't have any users objects ( Bingo!!!).
3. Selected the OU container which has user objects and we were able to successfully create a sync connection!!!
If you run into this issue ensure to check the following:
1. Is the domain FQDN is different than NetBIOS? If yes, use the NetBIOS name while creating the connection.
2. Verify the OU has user objects ( I am sure we wouldn't select the OU which doesn't have any users, but worth double checking it)