We are very excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Beta Program and appreciate your interest and participation in the program. Click here to download the solution accelerator. If you have additional questions or feedback about the solution accelerator, please send an email to MVMCDISC@microsoft.com. You can also visit the MVMC TechNet forum for participating in discussions and getting additional support.
About This Solution Accelerator
The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC) provides a Microsoft-supported, freely available, standalone solution for converting VMware virtual machines (VMs) and VMware virtual disks (VMDKs) to Hyper-V virtual machines and Hyper-V virtual hard disks (VHDs). MVMC supports converting virtual machines using the following guest operating systems:
- Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2003 R2 with Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows 7
The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter converts VMware virtual machines created with:
- VMware vSphere 4.1
- VMware vSphere 5.0
To virtual machines for:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Hyper-V
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 SP1
The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter:
- Provides a quick, low-risk option for VMware customers to evaluate Hyper-V
- Converts the virtual disks and the VMware VMs configuration, such as memory, virtual processor, and other machine settings from the source
- Uninstalls the VMware tools on the source VM and installs the Hyper-V Integration Services as appropriate
- Includes an easy-to-use wizard-driven GUI simplifying VM conversion
- Supports offline conversions of VMware virtual hard disks (VMDK) to a Hyper-V based virtual hard disk file format (VHD)
Includes a scriptable Command Line Interfaces (CLI) for performing machine conversion and offline disk conversion which integrates with datacenter automation workflows, such as those authored and executed within System Center Orchestrator. The command line can also be invoked through PowerShell.
For program details visit Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Beta now available!