The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit makes it easy to assess your current IT infrastructure for a variety of technology migration projects. This Solution Accelerator provides a powerful inventory, assessment, and reporting tool to simplify the migration planning process.
The Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit is an agentless, automated, multi-product planning and assessment tool for quicker and easier desktop and server migrations. MAP provides detailed readiness assessment reports and executive proposals with extensive hardware and software information, and actionable recommendations to help organizations accelerate their IT infrastructure planning process, and gather more detail on assets that reside within their current environment. MAP also provides private and public cloud planning assessments, and server utilization data for Hyper-V server virtualization planning; identifying server placements, and performing virtualization candidate assessments, including ROI analysis for server consolidation with Hyper-V. Other significant new features in MAP 6.5 include the discovery of active Windows devices, Software Usage Tracking for Forefront Endpoint Protection (FEP), and the discovery of Oracle instances on Itanium-based servers with HP-UX to assist in the planning of migration to SQL Server. Learn more.
MAP is one of the tools provided by the Microsoft Solution Accelerators team. The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, and Security Compliance Manager provide tested guidance and automated tools to help organizations plan, securely deploy, and manage new Microsoft technologies—easier, faster, and at less cost. All are freely available, and fully-supported by Microsoft. Learn more.
For home users and users with a few computers to migrate, use the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to understand the readiness of your computer for Windows 7.
The MAP Toolkit includes the following components:
- Microsoft_Assessment_and_Planning_Toolkit_Setup.exe. Installation package containing the tool, release notes, Getting Started Guide and toolkit help (chm file).
- readme_en.htm. Available as a separate download. Provides information to read before installing the MAP Toolkit, including installation prerequisites and known issues.
- Getting_Started_Guide.en.doc. Provides information about toolkit installation, environment preparation, and assessment scenarios supported by toolkit wizards and the UI.
- MAP_Training_Kit.zip. Available as a separate download. Contains sample databases and training materials.
- MAP_Sample_Documents.zip. Available as a separate download. Contains sample reports and proposals.
MAP Toolkit Support:
- The MAP FAQ http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=233058
- The MAP Technet Forum http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=233057
- The MAP Training Kit with sample database http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=196614
- Support offerings and regional contact information can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx. Premier customers should contact Premier Support for assistance.
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The MAP blog http://blogs.technet.com/mapblog/
- Follow us on Twitter @MSSolutionAccel
- Get notifications about Beta programs and other opportunities through Microsoft Connect http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=219168