First off all thank you very much to all the IT Professionals for being part of this Cloud Road show. This was an amazing experience for me to interact with all of you during the events. I am happy with the participation from Chennai & Mumbai IT Professionals for their active participation. Like as per my promise I will be sharing lot of resources in this blog post. During the presentations in Chennai & Mumbai I received quite a few questions around Cloud, Deployment, Security, Migration and of course Licensing. I will be covering each one of the those questions in this blog post.
First off all I will be talking about the tools I discussed during my session…”Deployment & Consolidation: Notes from the Field”
I talked about A Well Managed Desktop == Control + Manage + Secure. (This includes Corporate Image + Group Policies + Security Policies + Data Synchronization)
Tools I covered in this session, you can download from the following locations…
- Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit 5.5 – DOWNLOAD MAP TOOLKIT FOR FREE
The Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit 5.5 includes the following new features for simplified IT infrastructure planning:
- Windows Azure platform assessment for easier migration to the cloud
- Heterogeneous database discovery for accelerated migration to SQL Server
- Microsoft Internet Explorer migration assessment for migration to Windows 7 compatible versions
- Enhanced server consolidation capabilities help save time and effort when creating virtualization assessments and proposals
- Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.6 – DOWNLOAD ACT TOOLKIT FOR FREE
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V) – This is part of MDOP for SA Customers.
- Microsoft Application Compatibility Factory (ACF Program) – Visit here for more information http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb510132
The Windows 7 Application Compatibility Factory (ACF) Program helps customers identify and resolve potential compatibility issues they may face when migrating desktops and applications to Windows 7.
- Microsoft Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) – DOWNLOAD WAIK FOR FREE
The Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows® 7 helps you to install, customize, and deploy the Microsoft Windows® 7 and Windows Server® 2008 R2 family of operating systems.
- Windows Deployment Services (WDS) – This is the Server Role available in Windows Server 2008 & R2. Read here to know more http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd348502(WS.10).aspx
- Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2010 Update 1 – DOWNLOAD MDT FOR FREE
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2010 Update 1 is the newest version of Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, a Solution Accelerator for operating system and application deployment. MDT 2010 Update 1 supports deployment of Windows 7, Office 2010, and Windows Server 2008 R2 in addition to deployment of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP.
- User State Migration Toolkit (USMT) - User State Migration Tool (USMT) 4.0 is part of Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK). Read here more http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560801(WS.10).aspx
- Volume Activation Management Tool 2.0 (VAMT) – DOWNLOAD VAMT FOR FREE
VAMT 2.0 allows administrators to automate and centrally manage a range of activities related to Windows client, Windows Server, and Office 2010 activation.
I am going to add the resources as per the basics of cloud computing model we discussed.
Such as “Infrastructure as a Service, Platform as a Service & Software as a Service”
Infrastructure as a Service Model (Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 HYPER-V + System Center Suite + SSP 2.0)
Here are the useful links
Microsoft Cloud Power – http://www.microsoft.com/cloud/
- Microsoft Private Cloud – IaaS – http://www.microsoft.com/virtualization/en/us/private-cloud.aspx
What Is a Private Cloud?
Private cloud is the implementation of cloud services on resources that are dedicated to your organization, whether they exist on-premises or off-premises. With a private cloud, you get many of the benefits of public cloud computing—including self-service, scalability, and elasticity—with the additional control and customization available from dedicated resources.
- Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager Self-Service Portal (SSP) 2.0 – DOWNLOAD SSP 2.0 FOR FREE
The Virtual Machine Manager Self-Service Portal 2.0 (VMMSSP) is a fully supported, partner-extensible solution that can be used by customers to pool, allocate, and manage their compute, network and storage resources to deliver the foundation for a private cloud platform in their datacenter.
- Microsoft System Center IT Infrastructure Server Management Solutions – http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/default.aspx
Build Your Own Private Cloud – http://www.microsoft.com/virtualization/en/us/private-cloud-get-started.aspx
- Hyper-V Fast Track Program – http://www.microsoft.com/virtualization/en/us/hyperv-cloud-fasttrack.aspx
Platform as a Service Model (Windows Azure)
- What is Windows Azure – http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/windowsazure/
Windows Azure™ is a cloud services operating system that serves as the development, service hosting and service management environment for the Windows Azure platform. Windows Azure provides developers with on-demand compute and storage to host, scale, and manage web applications on the internet through Microsoft® datacenters.
- Windows Azure Pricing Pricing – http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/pricing/
- Windows Azure Pricing Offers - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/offers/
- Windows Azure FAQ – http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/faq/
- Windows Azure Whitepapers – http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/whitepapers/
- ONE STOP FOR ALL THE SECURITY RELATED QUESTIONS AROUND WINDOWS AZURE INCLUDING CERTIFICATIONS, STANDARDS ETC…below 2 links will answer all the questions
Security Resources for Windows Azure – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff934690.aspx (This has multiple links to multiple questions/resources)
Windows Azure Security Overview – http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/whitepapers/papers/default.aspx
- Windows Azure Get Started – http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/getstarted/
Software as a Service Model (BPOS/Office 365)
- What is Office 365 – http://office365.microsoft.com/en-US/what-is-Office365.aspx
Microsoft Office 365 delivers the power of cloud productivity to businesses of all sizes, helping to save time, money and free up valued resources. Office 365 combines the familiar Office desktop suite with cloud-based versions of our next-generation communications and collaboration services: Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and Lync Online.
Office 365 is simple to use and easy to administer – all backed by the robust security and financially-backed, guaranteed reliability you expect from a world-class service provider.
- Office 365 Beta – http://office365.microsoft.com/en-US/office365-beta.aspx
– Migration from Lotus Notes to Exchange Online
Cloud offerings for Business
Cloud offerings for Consumers Across 3 Screens
Microsoft Licensing Resources
Microsoft Volume Licensing:
Enterprise Agreement and Enterprise Subscription Agreement:
Microsoft Software Assurance:
PS: If you feel that I have missed something in the list, feel free to reply to me over an email or add the comment on the same post. I will add the necessary updates. Thank You.