The Offline Virtual Machine Servicing Tool 2.1 helps organizations maintain virtual machines that are stored offline in a Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager library. While stored, virtual machines do not receive operating system updates. The tool provides a way to keep offline virtual machines up-to-date so that bringing a virtual machine online does not introduce vulnerabilities into the organization’s IT infrastructure.
The Offline Virtual Machine Servicing Tool combines the Windows Workflow programming model with the Windows PowerShell™ interface to bring groups of virtual machines online just long enough for them to receive updates from either System Center Configuration Manager 2007 or Windows Server Update Services. As soon as the virtual machines are up-to-date, the tool returns them to the offline state in the Virtual Machine Manager library.
This Solution Accelerator includes the following components:
- Brief Overview. Available online only on Microsoft TechNet. Summary for business and technical managers that briefly explains how this Solution Accelerator can fit into an organization’s IT infrastructure management strategy.
- OfflineVMServicing_x64 and OfflineVMServicing_x86. Setup files for the tool, for 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Windows with Microsoft® System Center Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) 2008 or 2008 R2.
- Offline Virtual Machine Servicing Tool Getting Started Guide. Provides information about how the tool works, explains prerequisites for the tool, and describes how to install and configure the tool.
- Offline_VM_Servicing_Tool_2.1_Release_Notes.rtf. Notes provide information about this release, describe known issues in the tool, and include feedback instructions.
- Offline_Virtual_Machine_Servicing_Tool_Help. Help file for the tool. Provides instructions for using the tool.
- Click the Download button at the top of the page to start the download.
- Uninstall any previous installation of the Office Virtual Machine Servicing Tool before proceeding with the installation instructions below.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the .zip file extraction immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location. Then extract the files to your preferred location on your computer. Note Release Notes and Getting Started Guide are available in the .zip package outside the .msi files for optional viewing before tool installation.
- To save the download to your preferred location on your computer for .zip file extraction at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.
- To install the .msi package (OfflineVMServicing_X86.msi or OfflineVMServicing_X64.msi)
- Navigate to where you extracted the .zip file content on your hard drive.
- Double-click the .msi file you want to install.
- Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
- Follow the steps in the installation process to complete the installation.
- Find the installed files in C:Program Files on your computer in the folder Microsoft Offline Virtual Machine Servicing Tool.
Solution Accelerators are free, scenario-based guides and automations designed to help IT Professionals who are proactively planning, deploying, and operating IT systems using Microsoft products and technologies. Solution Accelerator scenarios focus on security and compliance, management and infrastructure, and communication and collaboration.
Get the Solution Accelerator Notifications Newsletter
Subscribe to the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as
- Communication & Collaboration
- Security, Data Protection, & Recovery
- Operations & Management
You may also receive invitations to participate in accelerator development via beta programs and customer surveys. Solution Accelerator Notifications is currently available in English only.