Infrastructure Planning and Design guides share a common structure, including:
- Definition of the technical decision flow through the planning process.
- Listing of decisions to be made and the commonly available options and considerations.
- Relating the decisions and options to the business in terms of cost, complexity, and other characteristics.
- Framing decisions in terms of additional questions to the business to ensure a comprehensive alignment with the appropriate business landscape.
These guides complement product documentation by focusing on infrastructure design options.
Each guide leads the reader through critical infrastructure design decisions, in the appropriate order, evaluating the available options for each decision against its impact on critical characteristics of the infrastructure. The IPD Series highlights when service and infrastructure goals should be validated with the organization and provides additional questions that should be asked of service stakeholders and decision makers.
IPD consists of the following downloadable packages:
- Updated! Selecting the Right Virtualization Technology– guide version 2.0
- New!Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services – in Windows Server 2008 R2 Terminal Services becomes Remote Desktop Services
- Updated!DirectAccess– guide version 1.1
- IPD Series Introduction – guide version 2.0
- System Center Operations Manager 2007 – guide version 2.0 updated for System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2
- Windows Deployment Services – guide version 2.0 updated for Windows Server 2008 R2
- System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 – guide version 2.0 updated for SCVMM 2008 R2
- Windows Server Virtualization (for Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V and Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1) – guide version 2.0 updated for Windows Server 2008 R2
- Active Directory Domain Services – guide version 2.0 updated for Windows Server 2008 R2
- File Services – guide version 2.0 includes Windows Server 2008 R2
- Internet Information Services – guide version 2.0 includes IIS 7.5
- Print Services – guide version 2.0 includes Windows Server 2008 R2
- Exchange Online—Evaluating Software-plus-Services – guide version 1.3
- Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.5
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V)
- Selecting the Right NAP Architecture
- SharePoint Online—Evaluating Software-plus-Services
- SQL Server 2008
- System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP1 with R2
- System Center Data Protection Manager 2007 with SP1
- Terminal Services
- Windows Optimized Desktop Scenarios – guide version 1.1
The guides are available as individual downloads or as a single all-in-one package.
For more information about Infrastructure Planning and Design, read the Frequently Asked Questions.
Send questions or feedback to us directly at email@example.com
Solution Accelerators are free, scenario-based guides and automations designed to help IT Professionals who are proactively planning, deploying, and operating IT systems using Microsoft products and technologies. Solution Accelerator scenarios focus on security and compliance, management and infrastructure, and communication and collaboration.
Get the Solution Accelerator Notifications Newsletter
Subscribe to the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as
- Communication & Collaboration
- Security, Data Protection, & Recovery
- Operations & Management
You may also receive invitations to participate in accelerator development via beta programs and customer surveys. Solution Accelerator Notifications is currently available in English only.
If you’ve used a Solution Accelerator within your organization, please share your experience with us by completing this short survey (less than ten minutes long).