Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 is the newest version of Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, a Solution Accelerator for operating system and application deployment. MDT 2010 supports deployment of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 in addition to deployment of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP.
For more updated resources visit Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Team Blog at http://blogs.technet.com/msdeployment/default.aspx
Deploy Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with the newly released Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010. MDT is the recommended process and toolset for automating desktop and server deployment. MDT provides you with the following benefits:
- Unified tools and processes required for desktop and server deployment in a common deployment console and collection of guidance.
- Reduced deployment time and standardized desktop and server images, along with improved security and ongoing configuration management.
- Fully automated Zero Touch Installation deployments by leveraging System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 2 Release Candidate and Windows deployment tools. For those without a System Center Configuration Manager 2007 infrastructure, MDT leverages Windows deployment tools for Lite Touch Installation deployments.
What’s New in MDT 2010
Improvements to the newest version of MDT allow you to:
- Access deployment shares from anywhere on the network and replicate files and settings across organizational boundaries or sites.
- Organize and manage drivers, operating systems, applications, packages, and task sequences with an improved UI.
- Automate UI functionality using the Windows PowerShell command line interface.
Choosing the Right Version
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 is offered in two versions to support Solution Accelerator component installation on x64 or x86 hosts. Select the version that corresponds with your host hardware type. Both versions of MDT 2010 support deployment of x86 and x64 Windows operating systems.
The What’s New in MDT 2010 guide and Release Notes are available as separate downloads on this page for those who want to quickly evaluate MDT 2010. The full package of guidance is available in .chm format as part of the toolkit. For those who want it in Word format, a separate download is available in the Files in this Download list.
Send questions or feedback about MDT 2010 directly to us at SATfdbk@microsoft.com
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7; Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition (32-Bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2008; Windows Server 2008 R2; Windows Vista Service Pack 1
- MMC 3.0 is required to run the Workbench and view the documentation on Windows Server 2003.
Note MMC 3.0 is included in Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows 7, and Windows Vista.
- Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 relies on several Windows deployment tools. After installation of the .msi package and startup of the Deployment Workbench, the user can choose to automatically download and install the following major tools from the Components:
- Windows Automated Installation Kit
- Application Compatibility Toolkit
- MSXML 6.0
- Microsoft Office Word or Word Viewer (available as a free download) can be used to view Word documents
Solution Accelerators are free, scenario-based guides and automations designed to help IT Professionals who are proactively planning, deploying, and operating IT systems using Microsoft products and technologies. Solution Accelerator scenarios focus on security and compliance, management and infrastructure, and communication and collaboration.
Get the Solution Accelerator Notifications Newsletter
Subscribe to the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as
- Communication & Collaboration
- Security, Data Protection, & Recovery
- Operations & Management
You may also receive invitations to participate in accelerator development via beta programs and customer surveys. Solution Accelerator Notifications is currently available in English only.
Happy Deploying 🙂