Determine Required Field for Service Manager Object


I have been trying to automate the creation of business service objects using a CSV file however ran into an error. This post details what the error was and how I solved it using Orchestrator.

I have a CSV file which I can import my service definitions in from – however when testing the creation of a new service I ran into an error. The basic premise is that the New-SCSMObject from the SMLets module will allow a hash table of properties to be passed to it when creating an object. So in the beginning my script looked like the entry below.

Capture2

This should work perfectly however when I ran the script I got the error below.

Capture3

The error detailed at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh962858.aspx wasn’t much help but I though back to when I was creating comments inside a Runbook. In that instance I was running into an error because it was missing a GUID. I decided to cheat a bit and jumped into Orchestrator – using a Create Object activity I specified a business service and the required field popped up straight away.

Capture1

The service ID is a GUID so all I had to do was alter my hash table to add a ServiceID property with a new GUID value. Next time I ran the script there were no issues and my service was created.

 

Capture4

Comments (0)

Skip to main content