PRN: Fax Services / Windows Fax and Scan (2000/2003)
Windows Fax Services and Windows Fax and Scan make it easy to send and receive faxes, scan documents and images, and share those items with others; right from your computer.
Scoping the Issue:
The speed of issue resolution is greatly enhanced by having an accurate scope of the issue. This is very important as it relates to finding the best resource to help you with the issue at hand. When determining the scope of the issue, consider the following scenarios.
Are you having trouble installing or configuring Fax Services?
- Problems with modem detection or behavior.
- Use of routing configurations. (Route through e-mail, Store in a folder, Print)
- Trouble with notifications.
- Not sending or receiving at all.
- 3rd party application not working properly with your configuration.
- General User access.
Are you having trouble installing or configuring a scanner for use with Windows Fax and Scan?
- Scanner detection (local or network)
- Scanner settings. (Scan Profile)
Are you experiencing trouble sending or receiving a fax?
- Intermittent failure to send or receive.
- Error message event log or displayed on screen.
- Partial or incomplete fax.
Are you experiencing trouble with scanning?
- Scan Routing.
- Image Quality.
- Windows Fax and Scan client not working. (Crashing, hanging, etc..)
For all issues, data should be collected to help isolate the issue and gather important
- A brief summary of the issue. (e.g. Unable to send/receive fax.)
- Is there a specific error being presented? If so, copy the event into a text file or collect a screenshot if the error is presented via a popup message.
- Does this issue affect the Server, the client or both?
- What Operating System and Service Pack is in use?
- What tools are being used in your specific scenario? (e.g. Fax and Scan Client. Management Console)
- A current collection of MPSReports. You can obtain the tool that collects this information from the following link:
XP and Server 2003:
Vista and Server 2008/R2:
· Overview of Fax Server and Fax Service Manager
· Fax Service Manager: Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2
· Fax device limit for the Microsoft Fax Service