With the release of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1(SP1) we have also released a new version of the Windows 7 AIK or WAIK. The SP1 version is more of a supplement to the current version and not a full replacement of the AIK.
The update includes an update to Windows PE (WINPE) that includes the following
- The number in the Version registry value is 3.1 to reflect the new Windows PE version.
- The Windows PE 3.1 base image contains Remote Network Driver Interface Specification (RNDIS) binaries. These binaries are also available for Windows PE 3.0 as a hotfix. For more information, see Knowledge Base Article ID: 979265 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=206678).
- Windows PE 3.1 includes 802.1x binaries as an optional component. The file name of this package is WinPE-Dot3Svc.cab. This optional component is also available for Windows PE 3.0 as a hotfix. For more information, see Knowledge Base Article ID 972831(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=206072).
- The Windows PE 3.1 base image contains fixes that are related to 512E/4K drive support. Note that the updates are for 512e drives not Native 4k drives. For more information, see Knowledge Base Article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2510009
- Windows PE 3.1 includes bug fixes that are related to the Windows PE version that is included with Windows 7 SP1.
The contents of the ISO are:
11/26/2010 07:32 PM <DIR> X86
11/26/2010 07:33 PM <DIR> IA64
11/26/2010 07:32 PM <DIR> AMD64
11/04/2010 09:18 PM 3,485 SETSANPOLICY.CMD
11/20/2010 07:21 AM 110,080 SSSHIM.DLL
11/04/2010 09:18 PM 806 PESETENV.CMD
11/04/2010 09:18 PM 2,084 COPYPE.CMD
It should be noted that unless you have a need for these updates in your deployment you may continue to use the current version of Windows PE (3.0).
The ISO can be downloaded from the following link:
The ISO does not contain instructions for installation. More information on the update can be found at the following location: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349350(WS.10).aspx.
To install the updated WINPE you copy the contents of the ISO over top of the following directory:
C:Program FilesWindows AIKToolsPETools
You should choose to overwrite the files. It basically replaces all the WINPE specific files and Optional Components (OC’S).
ConfigMgr and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Information
More information on the use of the updated WINPE 3.1 can be found at the following blog:
I hope this helps explain the new supplement and how to install it.
Senior Support Escalation Engineer
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support