Upon startup, Windows Vista Boots to a Black Screen with only the Mouse Cursor
This is most likely due to the Remote Procedure Call service (rpcss) running under the LocalSystem account rather than NT Authority\NetworkService account.
To resolve the issue, follow this procedure on the problem machine:
1. On the affected machine, boot using the Vista Media (i.e. the Vista install DVD or any Vista Media that is bootable will work) and Select “Next”
2. Then in the bottom left you will see “Repair your Computer”
3. Select Next
4. Then Select Command Prompt.
5. At the command prompt, launch regedit.exe and load the SYSTEM hive, following the next steps below.
c) Browse to %WINDIR%\System32\Config Folder (typically C:\Windows\\System32\Config) and select “SYSTEM”
d) Select Open.
e) In the Load Hive dialog box, type in “MySYSTEM” box for the registry hive that you want to edit.
6. After the hive is loaded, modify the following key value per the instructions below:
You will need to know what ControlSet the machine is currently running on, this can be determined by going to
and find the “Current” value in the Right hand side. (Example: Current value is 1 then the ControlSet will be ControlSet001)
7. Navigate to the following key:
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00X\Services\RpcSs (X is the Number from the Current Key from above)
Double click the value:
Value Name: ObjectName
Change the value:
Old Value: LocalSystem
New Value: NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService
8. Unload the SYSTEM hive by selecting the key “MySYSTEM” and then select File -> Unload Hive… menu item.
9. Exit regedit.exe
10. Restart the system normally
* If you do not have the Vista Boot CD, you can download Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset from this link:
We are still investigating root cause of this issue. At this time, a 3rd party remote access program is suspected.
Senior Support Engineer