Windows Server Backup failed to backup with error 0x81000101

Sometimes Windows Server Backup failed to backup the data. The error is:

The shared restore point operation failed with error (0x81000101) The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. Try this operation again.

In the event viewer, found the following error:

The backup operation that started at ‘‎**** has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code ‘2155348001’. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Windows Server Backup is timing out during shadow copy creation since it is taking more than 10 minutes.

– Run regedit.exe and navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionSPP”

– Create a new Registry value of type DWORD with name “CreateTimeout”

– Change value to 12000000(2*10*60*1000 = 20 mins) in decimal

More information:

Its worked!

Thanks slot!

Does this work in Windows 2012 too ?

I'm getting backup errors on my new 2012 cluster.

3. gary_dps says:

There’s an error in the solution. 12000000 is 200 minutes! You only need 5 x zeros, not 6. i.e. 1200000

I wouldn’t advise using 200 minutes as the timeout because if your server needed that long to take a snapshot then there is a far more serious problem that needs fixing. I’m even concerned in waiting 20 mins but at least that fixes the problem for most people, even though something unhealthy is happening to cause it to take that long.

4. SeriouslyTech says:

I have the same problem. Microsoft seems to have some big problems right now with this and cannot seem to fix it.

5. C#r says:

Unless I'm missing something, there's a problem with the math. 20 minutes, expressed in milliseconds is 20*60*1000, but that's 1.2 million not 12 million as posted. Since there's not much (as in anything I can find) documented on this key the obvious question is: is there an error in the suggested value, should be 1200000, or in the formula/units explained?

6. javier says:

Great, thank you very much.

7. Robert says:

I've been doing Windows backups since NT4 and I have found it unbelievable how f'd up backups can be in Windows 2008. "What were they thinking".

8. david W says:

Microsoft has no clue how to write an error message with any real meaning.

There are *billions* of available numbers… how about linking the error message

to meaningful resolution pages.

9. Chris C - New Zealand says:

Have just had this error on an SBS 2011 (essentially for all intents and purposes 2008 R2).

Will give this a go.

In response to David W:

The problem with Microsoft linking error messages to hyperlinks is that they keep changing the URLs on the KBs so you would just end up with a link that did you no good.

Yes you could say well stop bloody changing the URLs but ha-ha yea good luck with that.

10. Naveed says:

Is it working for Windows 2012, having issue with Windows 2012 Hyper V Failover cluster CSV backups using MS DPM 2012SP1

11. Ken Ogden says:

This fixed the problem I was having with MS Data Protection Manager.

12. Rob Pethick says:

Running SBS 2011, First had error 0x800423F0 and ran Share Point setup wizard. then had error 0x81000101 and made the new registry entry as above and my server back up is now working. thanks to all concerned

13. Salty says:

I made this change, and it helped for a while, then the error came back. I changed it to 40 minutes. As far as the question above concerning the math – my log shows the (failed) backup ran for 2 hours. I assume their math is wrong, but what would cause
    a shadow copy to take so long?

14. DJ Spy says:

Great! Its work!

15. PatRick says:

@Gary_dps: what is the default value of that (originally non existant) key? Any idea on how to find out the time it really takes to do the snapshot? In the backup logs, one only finds high level information (that the VSS snapshot failed, but not after how long, etc.)

16. jeremy says:

Default is 10min.

17. Alia says:

J’ai un soucis sur sur PSP , je ne l’ai pas dans Current version ..
    Comment faire ?

18. Geni says:

I have 60 minute time out with Backup Assist instead of 20 and it still fails with the same error … Any other fixes ?

19. Larry says:

I’ve tried 20 mins, 40 mins & 60 mins, without success!
    Windows server SBS2011

20. MED2000 says:

I assume this is due to time waiting for a quiet point? (Hence the erratic results)

21. shari77 says:

After two years of trying everything, I finally fixed my System Restore using this post by WalterBerndl: Check if you have a program called "XFast USB" usually installed with the MoBo from the mainboard vendor ASRock.

When trying to create a restore point, it hung at "creating a restore point," followed by the error message: "The restore point could not be created for the following reasons: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. Try this operation again. (0x81000101)
    Please try again."

I Googled and came across many others who had resolved the 0x81000101 problem by uninstalling XFAST USB. I was experiencing the problem with ASRock Xfast USB version 3.0.28.

I then uninstalled ASRock Xfast USB (xfastusb) and rebooted. This resolved the 0x81000101 problem.

NOTE: I first tried to upgrade to ASRock Xfast USB version 3.0.38, but again encountered the error message. Also removing it from the Start Up Menu does nothing, as there is an additional driver it installs to your system. Uninstalling it removes this driver

Another example of these "booster" programs is ASUS’ "USB 3.0 Boost" But if you don’t have those kinds of board, but have any kind of "USB turbo-boosters" installed, you still should remove it. They don’t get along well with the Volume Shadow Copy service.

22. Hans says:

Thank you shari77.
    Uninstaling ASRock Xfast USB and rebooting solved the 0x81000101 problem.