Disabling offline files removes pinned items from Windows 7 task bar?

When I review the forum threads, I found an interesting issue about offline files and pinned items.

Symptom:

Users may not be able to pin items to their taskbar or Start menu, or pinned items may disappear the next time the user logs in if desktop is redirected to a network file server and offline files are disabled.

But if offline files are enabled and re-login, the pinned items will re-appear on the task bar.

Cause:

This occurs becuase Explorer needs permission to read from user shell folders when adding items to the taskbar. The SMB read permissions are more restrictive than NTFS read permissions, so Explorer is not able to access the folders and cannot load the pinned items.

Solution:

To resolve this issue, set the share permissions to Read and Change or Full Control. The folder can be restricted to read only using file system (NTFS) permissions on the file server, but the share permissions must be at least Read and Change.

Reference:

1. Kalle Lundberg says:

I have exactly the problem described in this post, but the share permissions are already set to Full Control. Do you have any additional information regarding the "user shell folders"? What exactly is the path that explorer needs?

2. Zach says:

Has anyone solved this issue??

3. Ian says:

I have the same issue, however everyone already has full control.

4. MR says:

This does not work, everyone would have obviously set the network redirected folder  with modify access. Please remove this as it is not a solution.

5. Pascal Feldmann says:

I have the same problem and the solution above also doesn't work for me

6. sebus says:

Well, I can create pinned items on Taskbar or Start Menu, but visibility of these shortcuts gets lost on each logoff. The only way to bring it back is is force restart explorer

wmic process where name="explorer.exe" call Terminate

Then thay are visible in the session. Offline files GPO is not used, folder reditection to server share IS used

7. mike says:

This worked for me THANKS! . Here is something I noticed, if you’re using a redirected desktop and the share is on a 2003 box this problem doesn’t occur. It only seems to happen if the server is a 2008 R2

8. ageor says:

This helped!
    I lost the taskbar icons after redirecting Desktop to a folder in a subst drive, which was not available when explorer.exe loaded. Changing the path to an available folder should solve the problem but did not, because the Desktop folder (or the old shortcuts
    in it) were now read-only.
    So, making the Desktop folder available when explorer.exe loads _and_ removing the Read-Only attribute from the Desktop folder solved it for me.

9. Krisztian Juhasz says:

Many thanks for this. I spent a whole day searching and this worked for me.

10. Jesse Berks says:

2003 redirects to %application data
    2008 redirects to %appDataRoaming (Unless you chose 2000 blah under the GPO options)