The error 0X80070490(Element not found) when you are installing a service pack or update

Symptom:

When you are installing a service pack or update for Windows 7 or 2008 R2, the update may fail to install with an error 0X80070490.

You have tried the following contents, but still can not resolve the problem:

1. KB977893

2. KB947821

3. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Windows-Update-error-80070490

When you examine the setupapi.dev.log, you may find the followings were logged:

inf: Opened PNF: ‘C:WindowsSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositoryscanners.inf_amd64_neutral_08717035d84064b6scanners.inf’ ([strings])
     sig: {_VERIFY_FILE_SIGNATURE} 08:56:21.210
     sig:      Key      = scanners.inf
     sig:      FilePath = C:WindowsSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositoryscanners.inf_amd64_neutral_08717035d84064b6scanners.inf
!    sig:      No installed catalogs matching catalog name ” were found that validated the file.
!    sig:      Error 1168: Element not found.
     sig: {_VERIFY_FILE_SIGNATURE exit(0x00000490)} 08:56:21.226

*note*: the missing inf file could be different in your computer.

Cause:

Error 0x80070490 is “Element not found”. there is a consistent error to the specific drivers.

Resolution:

To resolve the issue please try the following

1. Run the checksur.exe (System Update Readiness Tool) tool.
2. Run System File Checker. From the command line run the command sfc /scannow
3. Review the cbs logs and uninstall the patches which were missing assemblies and reboot the server.
4. Reinstall the update.

For advanced customers, you can maunally fix it:

From an elevated command prompt:

pnputil – a <Inf File Path>

e.g.: C:WindowsSystem32DriverStoreFileRepositoryscanners.inf_amd64_neutral_08717035d84064b6scanners.inf

Well, the repair install is the last choice but worth a try befor you give up. 🙂

More information:

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2

1. Jerker says:

I've spent several days,nights on this and finally I had to give up and "repair" my WIN7 64 Professional by doing an upgrade using the by Dell provided dvd.

I came so far identifying a few drivers one for printer and one for webcam( provided by dell) as supspects in this problem.

All other fixces and scans with repair functionallity failed to fix it I am affraid, I even uninstalled almost everything that was not Microsoft products, but still no luck…

So my advice would be make a backup, repair the Windos installation and then apply all updates…set aside a good day or two to complete the process 🙁

2. han says:

Yes, I do this for all three PC in my office, for whole week!!!!!!!!!! It still don't work, I just want to die!

3. richard f says:

I can't believe you call this a solution. How is a non tech expert supposed to use this. How about some real help that doesn't waist my time.

4. richard f says:

I can't believe this advice is really from the Microsoft Reduce Customer Effort Center. I have never seen more wasted customer effort logged on more sites and blogs. Please give us an easy fix. Please.

5. Jim D says:

I had to laugh at the previous entry pointing out the title of this site – I hadn't noticed it when I first read the page. I am trying the upgrade repair at the moment.

6. Debug man says:

Have sit in class for two year to understand your limbo…. No help at all

7. Pete L says:

This is such frustrating waste of time and effort. think I will buy a MAC next…….

8. Jerzy says:

Come on Microsoft! Do something, installing a pack is really about writing new files to disk, so why it is so hard to copy new files to a disk

9. brett says:

Buy a Mac.  Windows is the worst VIRUS on the planet

10. Jack Rouch says:

Brett,

You are an idiot, 100% of Windows issues are the idiots using it.

Get a MAC and be a douche!

Use Linux and NEVER have problems.

MAC is for pretentious douche-bags who thing that they have a better computer becasue they got raped at the mac store for some overpriced BSD clone.

11. Billy says:

I agree with Jack, wtf is a MAC user even on this site?!?!??!

LOL what an ass-hat!

12. holbach says:

Couln't Microsoft be a bit more helpfull than "ERROR_NOT_FOUND" messages ?

When you have genuine Windows seven 64 bits preinstalled with your laptop, you expect some real easy-to-use help here. Otherwise you plan to look for another system next time.

13. Christian says:

have the same problem and for THE idiot that suggest a MAC … please dont be so stupid mac has a lot of other problem more serius than a simple reisntalation of system.. the osx lion is full of bugs its compare to the windows vista of microsft and the nex system the mountin caty ( jajaj) is the same garbage modified .. mac have rally serius problems with its machines ..but i think the worst is that mac book pro over heat using two videos of you tube at the same time … that is serius problem the hardware and the software where not compatible…so think seriuos in getting a mac YOU CAN READ THIS IN MAC FORUMS ..

14. tom says:

I have the same issue! It is unbelievable!,

I have spent over a week trying to solve this issue!!!

I dont want to reinstall whole machine.

Could you Microsoft support kindly advise me how to do In-Place upgrade?

The machine is HP Pavilion 7100 with Windows 7 Pro OA.

1. any Win 7 wont work because the code doesnt mach.

2. All I can ask HP to send me their Rescue system image.

SPI: (CheckForPendingFlag:90)Failed to open component hive at C:WindowsSystem32configcomponents er=0x0

SPI: (SPIRegQueryDWORDValue:413)Failed to query registry value: ComponentsRemoved er=0x2

SPI: (SPCVerifyTrust:1664)Failed to CryptCATAdminCalcHashFromFileHandle GLE=0x57

SPI: (SPIRegQueryDWORDValue:413)Failed to query registry value: UploadDisableFlag er=0x2

SPI: (SPIRegQueryDWORDValue:400)Failed to open the registry root: n/a, key: SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionSetupServicePackSP1. er=0x2

SPI: (SPIRegQueryQWORDValue:341)Failed to open the registry root: n/a, key: SOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionSetupServicePackSP1. er=0x2

15. Jeff25 says:

In my case the netrasa.inf file is missing, causing element not found. Where would I find such an inf file I wonder?

16. Chib says:

The solution here is what finally fixed this for me after hunting around for hours looking for a solution:

beerpla.net/…/how-to-fix-error_not_found-0x80070490-during-windows-7-sp1-installation

17. WesE says:

Big fail Microsoft.  Win 7 64bit and I've spent several WEEKS trying to get SP1 to install.  So frustrating.  Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fix your crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

18. E. says:

I have been looking since January for a way to get around this error. Win7 SP1 won't install, Core XML Services security patch won't install, and Microsoft's advice is always either irrelevant or incorrect. I am not willing to reformat and start over because I got no CD with my computer and because last time I went through all the updates by hand, it took me three days! That is not counting installing the OS (1 day), and fixing the terrible UI (4-5 days).

19. milke says:

the only idiots here are those using this crap called windows

20. Menippos says:

Thank you, thank you ever so much!!!

21. j says:

anyone ever get this resolved?

22. Turtle says:

FINALLY FIXED IT! Thank you so much Chib!!

Follow the instructions on the link Chib listed. It takes a little bit of work, but it actually fixes the problem.

23. Turtle says:

Also as a side note: The installation failed even after following the steps, but after a failed installation the .inf file that you manually install will be different. You just have to keep repeating steps 3, 4, and 5 until you have them all installed.

24. Nicholas says:

Hey i have also faced the same issue but i resolved the issue with the help of this link

25. Tracey Nafekh says:

I received this issue running Win 8.1 trying to install the Office Mix Preview Setup. I don’t understand why it won’t work with the latest program updates.

26. SteveM says:

Same here Tracey. Tried sfc /scannow – no help.

27. sarah says:

Yeah worst ‘help page’ ever, wow. This worked for me (although I think this error can pop up for a lot of different scenarios):

Did the command at that link, checked for updates, a firmware update was available, installed that, retried the update I was trying to install when I got the error (which was an Office update, so this might not work for all other update issues), and it worked.

28. sarah says:

@Tracey and SteveM, the Office Mix update was what I was doing too, so try that link in my last comment.

29. danish sharma says:

it worked for me..completed installation successfully.

30. Pavel says:

Hi, many thanks for this topic. I have installed System Update Readiness Tool, sfc / scannow but no change. Then I have checked mentioned log – setupapi.dev.log – and found out error with one inf. So I have tried to run pnputil – a and it worked !

31. Phil says:

This has destroyed my week with no resolution.

32. Chris says:

Microsoft had better wake up. This Windows 10 upgrade sucks and the word is spreading. I’ve got an "Element not found" message that makes it really inconvenient to use my photo images – and there is no solution that I can find online. This page from Microsoft
    is suitable only for serious techies and useless for people like me = and I’ve used Windows since the start. Get it sorted. Meanwhile I’ve got to reinstall Windows 7, which worked just fine.

33. barb2 says:

Beyond frustrating here. I took the new Windows 10 "free" upgrade, you know what they say "no free lunches" really. I’ve tried all the suggested fixes, still can’t open any of my photos other than in the Windows media center and cannot do any editing.
    So……I can uninstall the Windows 10 upgrade and restore my pc back to 7 (I had 8.1pro) and start all over again is their advice. Come on, don’t they have a techie that has figured this out yet, I’m not the only one having these problems, hey on the bright
    side I got my wifi back, others haven’t.