IE9 download manager freeze at 99% and “1 sec remaining”

Recently some customers reported that sometimes downloads seem to hang at “1 sec remaining” and 99% in the new IE9 download manager.

Actually the files seem to be complete as renaming the “.partial” files seems to work.

There are several things that you can try to mitigate this:

1)Open Internet Explorer (IE) in no add-ons mode and check if that fixes the issue.

To start Internet Explorer without add-ons,

a. Click the Start button, and selectAll Programs.

b. Click Accessories, and selectSystem Tools.

c. Click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2) Anti-virus or Anti-Spyware programs are blocking it. Before downloading anything, ensure you trust the website where the download is from and the download is not containing virus.  Disable AntiVirus temporarily, and try to download something. If downloading is working now, it means the Anti Virus application is blocking it, you may contact the vendor of A/V for further help.

3) Ensure you have enough free disk space.

4) Ensure you are keeping the tab which launched the download open.  For example, it may be triggered when you are going to a site full of videos, right clicking a video and clicking “Save Target As”, then closing the tab before the download can complete, If you keep the tab open, it will complete successfully.

Edit: This issue was fixed in  IE9 security rollup package released on June 14th. More details here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2566258

5) Finally, you can rename the “.partial” files which are 99% because actually the files are complete.

Hi, please send us the detailed error information so that we can help you.

I'm afraid I have to agree. Disable AV when that it also a MS product? Cannot save an MS Security Bulletin as mhtml in IE9. Cannot open mhtml files in IE9 which were saved in IE9. Cannot rely on a file download actually completing.Then blame it all on add-ons.

3. AC says:

What use is there for a download manager if you have to keep the tabs open. I cannot believe problems like this get past the testing phase.

4. Mike says:

Useless browser, I regret updating. Back to firefox for me. What a disappointment.

5. gremlin79 says:

stupid question, but how do I disable Anti-Virus?

6. danma_ says:

@gremlin79, You should contact the vendor of Anti-Virus.

7. Troy says:

This isn't fix… bye bye ie9

8. Surely disabling anti-virus is worst advice ever for downloading files from the Internet. In my case leaving tab open/disabling or using no add-ons mode has any affect. Happy to provide more details about cause of this problem, some details here chentiangemalc.wordpress.com/…/case-of-the-ie9-partial-download-fail

while it is true AV cause this issue, some other browsers do not have this issue, and filename can be immediately renamed after download. maybe a few tries before failing or something. IE9 download manager could be fixed to prevent this.

9. Heath says:

This fix did not work, I have now downloaded Chrome and it works a treat.

Microsoft sort our your support as this answer is lame…

Not only did I try this prior to using your lame support, it did not work.

Bring on Andriod OS.

10. Luke M says:

I have this same problem. Downloads with IE9 frequently will freeze at 99%. Has nothing to do with disk space or antivirus. Even small downloads less than 1mb are subject to this bug. Only thing that fixes it is restarting the download. This makes IE9 unreliable for anyone who downloads multiple files at a time.

IE8 does not have this issue.

Microsoft needs to address this as people with this issue are posting all over the internet

11. Marcel O says:

Same here, never had any problems downloading anything with previous versions of O.S. and IE but with Win 7 and IE 9 it fails at least 25% of the time.

Useless at it is now.

12. Jay W says:

The problem occurs despite trying all suggested fixes. It leaves a reidue file in the download location that must be removed!

13. Mictateur says:

I'm not sure you guys even read the article: the files are fully downloaded. The bug is that the download manager thinks it's stuck at 99%. I even had a stuck download at 100% this week. It doesn't matter: the downloads are complete. Renaming the files does the trick.

I have to agree that blaming anti-virus or add-ons is pathetic though: it's an IE bug, period. Go fix it.

14. danny1167 says:

ie9…bye bye…dont want to work this hard…ill never use microsoft again

15. oldnukeet57 says:

This is just ridiculous that in this day and age, a major software giant like Microsoft is still cranking out crap that hangs like a picture on the wall. If I have to do anything to correctly achieve a download besides start the bloody download then it's a FAIL….

16. Ricky says:

try running as administrator as a work round. is there a proper fix for this issue yet, as this is no good for domain users if they open something in a link and it goes into protected mode by default.

17. Kevin Lee says:

Looks like the only solution is to use a different browser.

18. Drew says:

hey guys worked out something here, tried everything including reinstalling etc all the noob stuff…. apart from running the 64bit version of IE whcih seems to fix the problem!!! not sure what is conflicting with the 32bit version (maybe a win update or an update to another program) but 32bit was working before not now.

19. Peppino says:

Same problem here. When downloading files, IE9 download manager freezes and does not complete the download and you cannot even clear it from the list. The suggestions listed in the above article are riduiculous. Run IE9 witout add-ons. I need my add-ons. Disable anti virus. Are you kidding or what? That's a recipe for disaster. Ensure you have enough disk space. My PC has terrabytes of disk space. PC's these days have hundreds of gigabytes of disk space, even terrabytes. Rename partial files. That's a pain in the butt. Keep the tab which launched the download open. Never had to do that or any of those things with IE8. The problem is with IE9. I don't have the time nor the inclination to play detective and try to figure out how to solve these problems. IE9 should work right out the box. IE9 is a hassle to use. I did a disk image restore to revert back to IE8.

20. Brisd says:

Just uninstalled IE9, the dl's stuck at 99% was driving me crazy.  FIX THIS MS!

21. will from now on be boycotting IE says:

this is infuriating!!!! i will never use or download anything from microsoft ever again explorer9 update has ruined my computer!!! everything was fine until i downloaded that stupid thing now my downloads stop at 99% i've tried everything to fix it & i keep getting a stupid pop up for each page when i open now asking if i want to allow it etc etc & to top it off i can install programs anymore because it says im not the administrator  OF MY OWN COMPUTER!!!!! what idiot released this!!!!

22. Same here says:

Same problem for me. Started a week ago, and can't find a solution. Maybe I will download Chrome now and see if that helps. If it does, good bye IE!

23. Ray says:

What ever you do, DO NOT disable your anti virus.  That's the stupidest advice I've ever seen.  I just removed IE9 and am using IE8 successfully.  Being a network engineer and security analyst I can tell you that the bad guys love the idea of you disabling anti virus.

24. captchas says:

try down loading using ie 9  from tech net  when they use the akamia down loader.  every  down load fails at 99% with a corrupt file error message, i can't even find the file in the download files to rename.

only work around is to use firefox.

25. Paventhan says:

Method 1

On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer 9, click Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, click to clear the check mark from the Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box in the Security area, and then click OK. (This is the default Internet Explorer setting.)

Method 2

Start Registry Editor.

For a per-user setting, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet Settings

For a per-computer setting, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet Settings

On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following value:

"BypassSSLNoCacheCheck"=Dword:00000001

Exit Registry Editor.

Reference : osconfig.blogspot.com/…/ie-9-download-problem.html

26. SandandSan says:

I have run into this after clean installing Windows 8. It isn't my anti viral either.  It also affects Windows Explorer because you can't "delete" the partial file and then Windows Explorer is unable to load icons.  When you try to restart it takes forever.  This isn't working for me and I may have to go back to Windows 7 Ultimate – I have to be able to download.

27. What works for me... says:

Every time this happens, I open the downloads window… I pause the download stuck at 99 percent and then resume the download.  As soon as I resume, it clears and "completes" the download…

28. Suleman says:

Its not only with IE9, but also with chrome and safari….

29. Master says:

MY is stuck at 100% Tryed everything doesent work

30. GMC says:

I hate win 8. I am on the verge of taking it with the laptop it was installed on to Currys and demanding my money back

31. Leomartin says:

** I got my issue solved **

I had the same issue and i have solved my problem with help of this below article, hopefully this will help for you.

Click here

32. John Rossati says:

This appens also on Firefox download, this is a problem of shitwere

33. Mike K says:

Solved! I followed steps outlined on a page to remove ZeroAccess root kit. The steps basically include throwing a bunch of anti malware and anti-virus utilities at it. I was able to correct this exact issue on my Aunt’s machine remotely. I did ask her
    to run ComboFix and then let me know when done. Here is the link:

I used Option 1 and had to run HitMan twice as I noticed it did not delete the items found the first time. Its a few hours of work, but final solution is IE 11 works!

34. sethoo says:

am using windows xp an in the advance setting of internet option there is no reset , what should i do