In windows 2008 R2 SP1 RC, during install the WDS role, if you uncheck “Transport server” role service ,and then go ahead follow system’s request to remove dependent role services, the server manager MMC will crashed.(This works fine in windows 2008 R2)
We can easily reproduce this issue:
1. Open server manger console
2. Click “Roles”->”Add Roles”, click “Next”, select the “Windows Deployment Services” and double “Next”.
3. In the role services page ,uncheck the “Transport Server” role service box
4. The “Add Roles Wizard” will ask you to remove the dependent role services if you want to remove “transport server” role service
5. Click “Remove Dependent Role Services”
6. After that “Server Manager” crashed with following error: MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it.
7. Then click “OK” ,following the error message:
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
It seems the server manager MMC can’t handle the add role services correct. and it's an obviously product bug that comes with the SP1 RC .
Only workaround is to uninstall SP1, install WDS role and then install SP1 back. Hope SP1 will fix this problem.