‘Get Started with Office Live’ (add-in) window keeps popping up after first startup of Word/Excel/PowerPoint (2007)

Before you read below, this is fixed in version 1.4 of the add-in:

There's also a knowledge base article for this issue http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969144 that contains a link to an automated fix. Click on the "Fix it" icon in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969144 for the automated fix.

There was a new update 'Office Live Add-in' that we started offering through Microsoft Update recently for Office 2007. We've discovered that if you're not the user on the machine that installed it (e.g. install add-in, another user logs on), have 'Do not show me this message again' checked, click close, then close the application, you still get the popup each time you start Word, Excel, or PowerPoint in Office 2007. No other applications use that add-in so you shouldn't see the problem in other add-ins. I've only confirmed this myself on Windows Vista but in theory this would affect any OS version that has Office 2007 installed with the Office Live Add-in. I have since reported this to the Office Live team.

The add-in can be installed either via Microsoft Update under the Optional Updates section (meaning you have to opt-in, not checked by default), or by downloading from the Microsoft Download Center in the Office Live Update 1.3 package.

Symptom:

You have Office 2007 installed and start Word, Excel, or PowerPoint. You get the message below “Get Started With Office Live”, you have the checkbox “Do not show me this message again” checked and click the Close button. However, each time you start Word, Excel, or PowerPoint after checking that box the message still pops up.

Screenshot of popup

image

Keeps popping up every time you launch either Word, Excel, or PowerPoint (2007) even though you check ‘Do not show me this message again’

MESSAGE TEXT

[Title] Office Live Workspace

[Body]
Get Started With Office Live

Thanks for installing Office live add-in via Microsoft Update. You can now get started using Office Live Workspace.

This Office Live Workspace lets you:

-Access and view documents from almost any computer with a Web browser
-Open and save online documents directly from Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

[checkbox] Do not show me this message again       [buttons] Continue | Close

Cause:

The add-in was installed under another user account and the OfficeLive registry subkey necessary for that checkbox entry to be logged in the registry is not created for other users. You need to manually create the OfficeLive subkey under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft for any user on that computer that wants to suppress that add-in by checking the box. After the OfficeLive subkey is created the appropriate registry entry FirstRunDontShow will be created once Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are started and if the checkbox is selected it will no longer show on subsequent launches of those applications.

The issue can be resolved by adding a base registry key named OfficeLive under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft subkey, once that key has been created the next time you start Word it should create two new DWORD entries (FirstRunCredsDeleted and FirstRunDontShow), both set to 1.

Solution:

Install Office Live Update 1.4

OR

Registry FIX

Steps:

WARNING : If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Logged in as the user that has the problem, click on Start, clcik Run, type regedit, click OK.

2. On the left pane expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER, expand Software, select Microsoft.

3. From the Edit menu point to New and select Key.

4. Type OfficeLive and press the Enter key.

5. Close Registry Editor.

6. Start Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, you'll get the prompt, make sure 'Do not show me this message again' is checked, click Continue.

7. Close the application (Word, Excel, or PowerPoint), the registry DWORD values should be created under OfficeLive for that user.

MORE INFO:

Microsoft Update - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA100803331033.aspx

Office Live - http://www.officelive.com

Windows Registry for Advanced Users - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

1. Aaron Rykhus says:

Thanks for sharing that. I think that works because you installed the Office Live Add-in under your user. The problem occurs for any user account who didn’t install the add-in, so only the user who installs the add-in won’t have the problem.

2. Aaron Rykhus says:

Well, if there’s an OfficeLive node under HKEY_CURRENT_USERSMicrosoftSoftware then it should work once you start the app and close it. I just tried this on a Windows XP (x86) with Office 2003 machine fully patched and it writes the DWORDs with a standard user (member of the Users group).

You could run Process Monitor or RegMon to see if the add-in is trying to write the DWORDs, see if it works on a new admin user on the same box if you can.

I’m pretty limited on what kind of troubleshooting we can do on a blog. You might want to try posting something to the OfficeLive Workspace community but there’s no guarentee of a response and the same rules apply there too, pretty limited, it’s more of a Q & A:

If you get stuck on this I’d suggest contacting our support services at either 800-MICROSOFT or http://support.microsoft.com/oas, if you open a support incident you’ll get a guarenteed response.

3. Aaron Rykhus says:

I don’t think the DWORDs get added until you launch the app (Word, Excel, or PowerPoint) and close. Verify that, if it still doesn’t work and the users don’t need to upload or download files from Office Workspaces you can just uninstall the Office Live Add-in from Add or Remove Programs or disable the add-in under PowerPoint Options/Add-ins/COM Add-ins/Go…

4. tower defense says:

Your fix worked great!

5. Aaron Rykhus says:

You don’t need to modify the registry, open this URL http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9657450, it will fix the problem

6. Aaron Rykhus says:

The only way you can get the box to come back up would be to change the registry DWORD entry ‘FirstRunDontShow’ to 0. You would need to edit the registry to do this: 1) Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe) 2) Drill down to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOfficeLive 3) Doubleclick on FirstRunDontShow and change the ‘Value data’ box to 0.

I recommend creating a restore point before modifying the registry in case you accidentally mess something up. That way you could restore to the point before you modified the registry if something goes terribly wrong afterwards.

7. Aaron Rykhus says:

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought it was multiple users.

8. Aaron Rykhus says:

A standard user by default can still modify HKEY_CURRENT_USER but none of the other HKEYs. There’s also methods described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986 such as a registration entries (*.reg) file. If you don’t need the add-in you could just uninstall it via Add or Remove Programs or disable the add-in.

9. Aaron Rykhus says:

The user that has the problem needs to run Word, Excel, or PowerPoint once in order to create the registry entries under OfficeLive. You need to create OfficeLive under the HKCU hive for the users that have the issue. I’m working on getting an automated fix into a KB so hopefully this won’t need to be a manual fix. You can just click on a button and fix it.

10. Aaron Rykhus says:

Interesting, I haven’t seen that problem before. Curious if it’s under the same user. If you don’t use the Office Live add-in you can disable it in the Application Options under the Office Button, in the Add-ins section for Excel and PowerPoint:

Help article

Known error on Vista w/ UAC enabled ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE cannot be changed’:

You can also uninstall the add-in under Programs and Features on Vista and Add or Remove Programs on Windows XP.

Same problem as others have posted.  I updated the REG key under HKCU in the key listed in the fix, but the pop-up still won’t go away.  I also tried changing the add-in status under my ‘user’ account, but since it’s a COM add-in, I can’t modify it under this account.

12. Aaron Rykhus says:

I agree and appreciate the feedback. My blog post on this is not an ideal solution. More of a "heads up". I wanted to get something out there now rather than later since I foresaw others running into it. It will take time to fix the add-in, get it posted on the web, and get an official article (KB) and an automated solution where someone doesn’t have to edit or "hack" the registry. I wanted to get something out there for those who wanted a "quick fix".

13. Cheran says:

Thanks for this tip!  That screen was really starting to bug me, and this fix works perfectly.  One typo, on step 3, it should be "…point to New and select Key" instead of "DWORD (32-bit) Value".

14. vlekk says:

Thank you … how annoying was that!

😎

15. Tripoli says:

This worked perfect for me.  Thank God because I was about to go kill someone in IT.

16. Joel says:

That worked perfectly, Aaron.  Thank you!

17. Cormac says:

thanks you thank you thank you

it was making me crazy

18. hammerhead says:

THANK YOU!!!  I’ve been experiencing this very issue since installing the update.  My system has two accounts – one for use at the office, one for personal use at home.  This has been aggravating to figure out.  Your suggestion worked perfectly.  No more nags.

19. Mirko Rühl says:

Thanks a lot! Worked for me on Win XP 64

20. Matt says:

Thanks alot! this was becoming really annoying!

21. mike says:

Thank you, that was driving me up the wall.

22. cadderoni says:

Brilliant. Love it when workarounds/fixes are this easy (and work!)

23. kaiser money says:

How do I get this box to come back up?  I accidentally hit close with the box checked and now can’t figure out how to see this box again.

24. Joe says:

This isn’t an idea solution.  There are a lot of Office Live users out there who aren’t IT literate and can do a lot of damage with editing the Registry.

What should happen is Microsoft releasing an update to download and fix the problem.

25. cw says:

Do Microsoft actually test any software they develop?

Is it really acceptable to keep expecting users to hack their registry? I’ve just had to do this for my 70 year old father who surprisingly wasn’t too keen on the idea.

Perhaps if M$ are incapable of vaguely testing their software releases they could at least provide a more user friendly tool than regedit?

26. jim says:

How do you apply this fix if the affected user is not an administrator and cannot edit the registry?

27. John Anderson says:

Nice one. It certainly alleviates the problem – it was becoming a royal pain! Thanks You.

28. Frank says:

Sweeeeeettt!!!! Thanks Aaron! I echo the sentiments from others. It would have taken me forever to get this resolved without your help.

29. James T. says:

YEah so the Administrator installed the office live add in on all the computer, so he has to go to the registry of EVERY COMPUTER to get this to go away.

I may are never going to use this product now that I know Microsoft is a pop up virus. I know I had we had to opt in, but same with more Shareware that contained trojans.

30. Matt says:

UGH! THANK YOU!!!!! That was driving me insane!!!!

31. Black Diamond says:

Still broken for us after running this.  The fix works if an administrator is signed in but not the user. Once the user signs back in the message comes back. The keys are added to the registry but it did not make any difference. I gave the user full rights to that section of the registry and it’s still FUBAR. 😉

32. Black Diamond says:

The user really was signed in, we were using "Run As" to run regedit with administrator rights while the user was signed in as users do not have the ability to run regedit in our environment.

We had to enable their regedit rights and then just exported a working registry key containing the OfficeLive and imported it into a broken PC.

Hope that makes sense.

33. jeremy says:

Thank you so much. The pop up was a pain in the a$$!

34. adman10 says:

Thank you, this has been annoying the heck out of me.

35. EM says:

I want to marry you and have your children.  Oh, just remembered I’m a bloke.  Oh well, thanks a lot instead.

36. Jeff25 says:

This also worked with Office 2003.  Thanks a million to get rid of that blasted popup.

37. Carolyn says:

This worked in Word, but not Excel or PowerPoint.  Help!

38. Geoff says:

Awesome. Killed it dead. Thanks much.

39. Ian says:

This fixed the message coming back but when I log on to my user account I still get an Explorer window open c:Program FilesMicrosoft containing a folder called Office Live…how do I get rid of this!

40. Jazzyp says:

Thanks m8 worked a charm!! so bloody annoying that message was!

41. n/a says:

This worked great for me, thanks!

42. daniel says:

I can’t believe they haven’t issued a fix for this!  Massive FAIL microsoft.

43. paul says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was driving me bonkers.

44. jere says:

Thanks a lot! Insanity was nearing..

45. Lorrin says:

I’m glad that this fix is working for others, but it is not working for us.  We are using Windows XP Professional and MS Office 2003.  The users have added the registry key using a VBScript I wrote.  The OfficeLive key is now there, but the DWORDS are not being written.  So I modified the script and the DWORDS are also being added with a value of 1.  The splash screen still appears and my colleagues are very annoyed.  What am I doing wrong?

46. Lorrin says:

As explained above, after creating the key, the DWORDS are not being written at all, even though we have opened and closed Word, Excel and PowerPoint several times.  Even creating the DWORDS with my script – I can see them in the registry – doesn’t help.  We have been thinking about using OfficeLive, but if we have to put up with the splash screen every time we open an app, well, maybe we won’t after all.  Strange:  The splash screen no longer appears on one colleague’s computer, even though we have done everything the same on all computers.  What makes her so special?

47. Martin Kremer says:

Thanks for the tip. I was on the verge of uninstalling OfficeLive because of this problem.

48. Dan_IT says:

Couldn’t have been easier, thanks for this

49. Scott Capito says:

Thanks for the tip, this was really starting to get old ….

50. tolga says:

I kept waiting to receive a patch that would fix this, I mean come on, how annoying is that??  But your fix worked great!  I should have looked for it long time ago.  You would think the big MS would patch this retarded bug already.  Great way to start their Office Live "UX".  Way the go MS!

51. Ian says:

…when I log on to my user account I still get an Explorer window open ‘c:Program FilesMicrosoft’ containing a folder called Office Live…

I posted the above on 12 Mar after I’d succesfully applied the fix for the ‘Getting started….’ window problem; is anyone else getting this additional irritant and does anyone have a fix?

52. MDodddio says:

Worked like a charm. I thought it was only me! Oddly, it took me a few Google search attempts to find this article (I guess it’s the only one out there).

53. Wadim says:

I too had this problem and asked MS Office Live Workspace Support what to do. They advised me as follows:

"

To resolve this problem, you need to first uninstall this update from your computer and then if required, install it again.

To uninstall the ‘Microsoft Office Live Add-in’ from your Windows Vista computer, do the following:

1.      Click "Start", and then click "Control Panel".

2.      Double-click "Programs and Features".

3.      In the list of currently installed programs, select "Microsoft Office Live Add-in 1.3" and then click "Uninstall" or "Remove". If a dialog box appears, follow the instructions to remove the program.

4.      Click "Yes" or "OK" to confirm that you want to remove the program.

In addition to removing ‘Microsoft Office Live Add-in’, you must remove any ‘Office Live Updates’ from your computer:

1.      In the "Uninstall or change a program" dialog box, click "View installed updates" in the left pane.

2.      In the list, select the updates that you want to uninstall.

3.      Click "Uninstall". Follow the instructions to remove the updates

After uninstalling the ‘Office Live Update’ from your computer, restart your computer and re-install the ‘Office Live Update’. To install the ‘Office Live Update’, please visit the link mentioned below:

"

I did as instructed and the problem disappeared.

wadim

54. Wadim says:

I am sorry Aaron, I don’t understand your explanation. It is my computer and I am the only one who installs anything on it. I was the user who installed the Add-in in the first place and I still got the problem. Live Workspace Support advised me to reinstall it, which I did and the problem disappeared.

55. Michael Malott says:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this scenario. The original user account in which Office Live was installed on was deleted and no longer existed.  I just followed the steps under my current account (had admin rights) and that solved the problem.

56. justin says:

Very much appreciated. Without people like you, people like me would be lost. Thanks!

57. The MS patch doesn’t always work on reboot or if you log into a different network.

Uninstall of windows live update seems to be the only solution

58. Neil says:

Cheers – that’s just rid me of this week’s headache!

We do a lot of integration with Excel and the object wasn’t unloading because of that stupid message.

59. Jesus Gonzales says:

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

This pop-up was turning me crazy

60. William W says:

Thanks for the info! I’m opening and closing Office apps almost every 5 minutes and it was driving me nuts!

61. James Pepper says:

I am not about to go messing with my registry.  I am using XP professional with the latest updates.  This problem is with all of office not just word.  Can I uninstall the update?

This problem is worse because all of a sudden out of nowhere Microsoft Word pops up and gives me this warning, without my initiating it.  And it gives me this pop up screen.  Why is Word doing this.  It has some error message saying that word stopped unexpectantly and tells me it is recovering my files.  I never had it on to start with!  So what the hell is going on, this error started when I made the mistake of downloading this update.

62. joe90 says:

It worked for me as well

Thanks

J

63. Bob Hyatt says:

Thank you very much, it worked well!

64. Paul Marshall says:

Thanks for this…  solution was just a google away..  I have suffered for 3 months with this!

65. Steve T says:

What a pain!! What were they thinking (or not!!)

That worked great so thanks for your help!

66. Thanks for the info!  Saved me a LOT of time trying to figure out a fix myself.

67. MrTypo says:

Wow Thanks. that was getting on my nerve.

Quick and simple fix! THANKS!!!!!!

68. jerry says:

Microsoft folder with Office Live folder inside keeps popping up at start up of Windows…how do I get this one to stop?

69. Tim says:

Thanks alot! Solved the problem.

70. Curmudgeon says:

Thanks;

There’s no nuisance like MS nuisance.

71. KPR says:

I just uninstalled the Office Live Add-In from Control Pannel-Add Remove program. And the popup is gone.

72. howy61 says:

Amazing MS still has not done anything about this yet.

FYI for the less technical,  on Step #4, the name you need to enter is in the Microsoft list not the actual default key values.

73. rupe says:

Thanks. This popup was really annoying and its gone now.

74. mangala says:

Thanks for the tip much appreciated. This fix got rid of a very annoying popup.

75. Johan says:

Thanks, it was soooo annoying.

76. sux0r says:

Microsoft’s software keeps on getting better and better…ugh

77. CSE says:

Thank you so much for the solution and the relief! Whew!

78. k says:

Thanks a bunch for the fix. That pop up was such a pain

79. Henry says:

Thanks so much…regedit solution worked like a champ!

80. sam says:

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much… That message was sooo annoying..

81. Tokyotwin says:

I get the same annoying popup each time I open an Office program and I am the ONLY user on my machine, and I obviously have Administrator rights.  This began after I installed the current Office updates.

82. Garry Trinder says:

Thanks so much, the screen was starting to make me twitch.

83. Leticia says:

THANK YOU!!! :o)

84. <a href="http://www.squidoo.com/workshop/wisefixerreview"><p style="font-siz says:

Microsoft always bring new improved things, It really worked thank you so much and god bless you!