SharePoint 2013: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Usage service application not found


Hi Folks,

I was troubleshooting my SharePoint 2013 Farm and clearing out the error messages flooding my Application Event Viewer with following message:

"The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Monitoring.HealthStatUpdateJobDefinition (ID 546903e6-ab54-43af-8ea1-0e30c89a75e7) threw an exception. More information is included below.  Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Usage service application not found."

Checking ULS Logs, I did not see much more detail than above,

01/25/2013 09:57:07.54 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x17C0) 0x0888 SharePoint Foundation Timer 6398 Critical The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Monitoring.HealthStatUpdateJobDefinition (ID 546903e6-ab54-43af-8ea1-0e30c89a75e7) threw an exception. More information is included below.  Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Usage service application not found. a149f89b-ca65-c06e-cf6c-54075dddd87e

So I figured this would be a Service Application that was supposed to be provisioned under Application Management > Manage Service Applications, however this was not the case. Doing some digging, I found that this Usage Service Application is actually provisioned from another location.

In order to fix this, you will want to navigate to Central Admin > Monitoring and select Configure Usage and Health Data Collection under Reporting. Configure the settings how you want and then select OK. Once this has been completed, when you navigate to Manage Service Applications, you will see a "WSS_UsageApplication" service application listed.

Skip to main content