Manage your Virtual Server Machines with VMRC Plus

One of my colleagues developed a tool called VMRC Plus which is an improved version of the VMRC client that is deployed together with Virtual Server 2005.

As soon as I got the link I downloaded this tool, installed it on my machine. Unfortunately I didn’t have Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 running. So I downloaded and installed it without IIS and I didn’t installed the Web Administration tools. Why? Because you don’t need them 🙂

What does VMRCplus offer?

• Direct control of local or remote instances of the Virtual Server service. IIS and IE browser are no longer required!
  • Tabbed interface to quickly jump between Virtual Server hosts and guest VMRC sessions.
  • Reusable saved states: this feature allows users to preserve a particular saved state and return to that state at any time.
  • Multiple guest selection supported for startup/shutdown/save/display.
  • Browse button navigation for media, hard disk images, ISO images, .VMC files, etc.
  • Drag and Drop support for .VMC files, ISO’s images, VHD and VFD files.
  • Resizable desktop support for guests running Virtual Machine Additions (maximize VMRC window supported).
  • Limited cut and paste of text from host to guest (only).
  • A built-in utility to take JPG screenshots of running guests. Useful when filing bugs.
  • Built-in error notification with Virtual Server event log viewer.
  • A Virtual Networks Manager and Virtual Disks Manager that cover all features.
  • Keyboard shortcuts (e.g. Ctrl-S to save state a guest).
  • Create multiple guests at once.
  • Create guest from parent (or multiple guests)!
  • Automatic reconnect to a designated Virtual Server host.
  • Toolbars in both Guest and Console Manager for quick access.
  • Unlimited number of guests.
  • Maximum of 32 Virtual Server hosts.
  • Sorting on columns of guests so you can sort based on status and multi-select.
  • Automatic detection of Virtual Machine Additions and notification.
  • Detection of Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1.

Some screen shots:

Main VMRCplus window (Guest Manager)

image

Create a new Guest

image

Hardware Settings page

image

Remote control sessions through the Console Manager

image

This is yet another tool the Admin’s should have in their toolbox it is definitively in mine now. Managing my Virtual Server will be so much easier now but.
The VMRCplus tool is not an Enterprise tool neither is it supported by Microsoft, for Enterprise management I suggest you to have a look at
System Center Virtual Machine Manager

This tool Rocks!!

Note: I updated the download location to the Microsoft download center

Download

As you can imagine, a company full of great developers such as Microsoft has a bunch of folks that crank

Myślę, że będzie to ważna i ciekawa wiadomość dla tych wszystkich, którzy używają na codzień Microsoft

Hola En algunas ocasiones, durante los eventos nos han preguntado acerca de la herramienta con la que

Manage your Virtual Server Machines with VMRC Plus One of the Microsoft's guys has developed a tool

5. Arnstein says:

Great tool.

Wish-list:

1) Possiblility to set login credentials for VServers.

2) Possibility to lauch vmrcplus.exe from command line with the actual host as a parameter

6. Fugle says:

Another wish:

Possibility to add several host to the "reconnect" list at startup.

I think most people will agree that the Microsoft Virtual Server Web console is not the easist tool to

8. Rob Pellicaan says:

Nice tool!

Might be handy to notice that the tool requires the .NET 2.0 framework installed, otherwise the application will crash.

When will full clipboard mapping be added to the feature list? 🙂

I got questions in my courses on How to install Virtual Server 2005 on Windows VISTA.it is just a question

10. Stan Segers says:

Great tool! Don’t forget it needs Run as Administrator on Vista (with UAC enabled).

Say thanx from me to Paul and Matthijs.

Like I mentioned in a previous post I would be playing around with Server Core and Virtual Server 2005

12. Answers from the developer to the wish list:

1. Login credentials is not supported by VS so it is not possible to have that

2) Possibility to launch vmrcplus.exe from command line with the actual host as a parameter

3) Possibility to add several host to the "reconnect" list at startup.

Those two are added to the wish list and might be developed.

4) Clipboard mapping is possible only with RDP. That will come with WSV. But VS uses VNC which does not understand a clipboard.

VMRCplus is a tool for both configuration management of Virtual Server and remote control of virtual machines. It allows for local and remote management of Virtual Server and supports simultaneous management of up to 32 Virtual Server hosts.

This tool

14. Rifat Yavuz says:

Hi,

I could not switch to full screen mode using vrmcplus.

this tool is so great I believe this feature is somewhere else where and I couldn’t find it, dont think it as a missing feature.

could you help?

regards

15. ламинат says:

1bThank’s.0u I compleatly agree with last post.  esf

This is my project <a href="http://skuper.ru">ламинат и паркет</a> 5q

Great post, explained really well and I could really understand. Thank you.