Last friday I received a mail to announce that System Center Data Protection Manager 2007 Beta 2 is now available.
What's new in DPM 2007:
- Support for Microsoft Exchange (E2k3 and E2007), including advanced configurations such as E2007 Cluster Continuous Replication (CCR) and Local Continuous Replication (LCR) clusters.
- Ability to restore Exchange at the Database or Storage Group level.
- Support for Microsoft SharePoint (WSS2.0 and WSS 3.0).
- Support for Microsoft SQL (2k3 and 2k5), including advanced configurations such as SQL 2005 mirrored clusters. DPM 2007 also supports shortened SQL backup windows without the need for costly compression solutions.
- Zero data loss recovery for Microsoft applications
- Shorter backup windows and smaller full backups thanks to patented Express Full technology
- Efficient use of existing infrastructure, including reduced space requirements for Backup to Disk thanks to innovative data De-Duplication technology.
- Enables end users to do their own recoveries and integrates the End User Recovery experience into windows. Recoveries are as simple a right mouse click!
- Archive/TAPE Backup and Tape Data Encryption
- Server system state
- DPM Disaster Recovery (DPM Backing up DPM)· Protection of Virtual Server 2005 R2 guest OS's and Virtual Server host based backup support
- Files on workstations running Windows XP Professional SP2 and all Windows Vista Editions except the Home Edition
Note DPM does not support file protection on laptops running Windows XP Professional SP2 and Windows Vista Editions
DPM 2007 Beta2 will also contain some PowerShell cmdlets that you can use to manage your DPM environment. This is really cool, we can now manage Exchange 2007 and DPM 2007 through the same console PowerShell.