Vista RC1:: How to enable hidden audio devices

One of my colleagues received a mail  from Matthias with the question how to find the stereo mix device in his recording devices, with the previous versions of Vista these devices where visible. The next day he sent us a mail that he had found the solution. I just wanted to share the solution with you.

Open the Playback or Recording devices dialogue box (right click on audio icon in systray). Right click in the dialogue box and select show disabled devices, from here you can enable the devices and start using them.

Technorati Tags:

1. karen says:

Hi. I got your info from SingSnap. They say you can help me. I have Windows Vista. When recording songs on SingSnap, during playback the voice volume is fine, but the music volume is very very faint. I have tried everything to fix this problem. I noticed others on the site had the same problem, but I see know responses as to how to fix it. I do NOT  have this problem on another karaoke site. Thanks. I hope you can help me. My email is elden.karen.strand@sbcglobal.net

2. Howard says:

Like Karen, above, I too got a referral here from SingSnap help for help with my Vista recording issues. But I have already "discovered" the "Sound" dialog box, and have already enabled "stereo mix" as the default recording device. Yet my recordings are still vocals only. (Karen mentioned that she can faintly hear the music; I hear it not at all, despite adjusting the mike way down and music way up.) There seems to be no "wave out mix" going on at all, as there was on my older PC. Any advice?

3. OLIVIA says:

i am in the same situation as Karen & Howard & HATE having to switch back to my old broken comp just to go on SingSnap, therefore I frequent SingSnap less & less. It just aint worth the hassle. I miss SS DEARLY, but it’s just not worth the mess to get on there. BTW, SS sent me here too. I’ve already been here to no avail.

olivia

4. dan gratien says:

can you get be back on singsnap with my new computer. Vista

5. Todd Jennings says:

I’ve got the same problem in singsnap and tried this but it doesn’t show anything but mic can you help me please?

6. Lilnanz says:

Hi there…please help!

What is supposed to be the setting on playback and recording? on vista.  I was told that the only enabled on recording is "What you hear"…is that right?  On playback..i got "speakers and SPDIF out" enabled.  But my sound is sooo cracky when I play my recording.  Not good sound.

7. Juleslynx says:

I cant get past the sing snap wizard to pratice and record.  The little box for flash player comes up and says ‘allow singsnap access to your mic and cam, accept or deny" and vista wont let me click on accept.  Ive tried and tried. frustration is overloading, can anyone help?

8. darlene says:

I have Windows Vista and a SigmaTwl Hi Def Audio Codec soundcard… and I cannot record on singsnap. Whe nI record I hear my voice played back but no music. I have tried bringing up SHOW DISABLED DEVICES, however every time I have tried, it will not show anything called "WHAT YOU HEAR" or "STEREO MIX".

I am lost and don’t know where to go from here. I don’t know why some people can find those options and I cannot access them. HELP!!! I am so frustrated and hate VISTA!!!! HELP!

9. Roger Metz says:

I have had the same problem as Darlene.I was on the phone today for 1 1/2 hr. to support @ HP.The support lady had other people and her supervisor working on the problem and still couldn’t get it fixed.

I do karaoke on karaokeroom.com and had no problem with WindowsXP.However with Vista I can’t heard the mic working.When I record and then play back all I hear is my voice and not the music.It is very,very frustrating. XP was so simple and this has been a big pain. HELP! HELP! HELP!

10. Margaret says:

Hello i just got this computer it has  vista windows on home basic.. i am not able to find the stero mix or any thing on this and i am to the point now i am ready to give up i have tried every thing that people has been saying to do.. my name is MargaretL on singsnap pls help.. thanks..

11. Dary says:

Still cant find the stereo mix in the record and playback dialog box. Has Vista diabled this option and if so why? I need it?

12. julie says:

I am having the same problem EXCEPT……. when i click on show disable devices I dont even have a stero mis or what u hear. Can you tell me why?? Can I download it from somewhere . I have a dell deminsion E521.

My husband and I ahve tried this and have worked on this all week and with Dell tech support we have gotten no where. Any help you can give is helpful. Email is BigC6871@comcast.net

Thank you for your time and understanding.

13. Doralee says:

I am having the same problem EXCEPT……. when i click on show disable devices I dont even have a stero mix or what u hear. Can you tell me why?? Can I download it from somewhere . I have a dell Inspiron 530.

I have tried this and have worked on this all week and with Dell tech support we have gotten no where. Any help you can give is helpful. Email is jspddp40@verizon.net

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Julie

14. netsking says:

Thank you very much. I just disabled my playback device. I tried to get it back. I can’t find anything in Device manager.

After read your message, it is back again. Thanks a lot.

15. maggie says:

I am having the same problem as everyone else is. I dont ahve a problom on any other karaoke site but on singsnap i do. When i try to go and fix it I dont have anything that says What U hear. Can anyone help me????????

Mags

16. gwenda hearnsberger says:

New vista and a this sound card. Having problems if I try to sing. what you hear is enabled, and I can hear the music but it doesnt go out over the mic if I’m in a live program.  I’ve tried calling creative I’ve tried everything I’ve seen about enabling stereo mix and what you hear, nothing works.  Could you email me at gwenda_hearnsberger@yahoo.com if you can help please?

17. Lynn says:

Hi, having same problem as others with Vista.

I have Windows Vista. When recording songs on SingSnap, during playback the voice volume is fine, but the music volume is very very faint. Please help!

18. alex says:

thank you so much, i’ve been struggling with this.

19. walkintall says:

same problem as everyone else PLEASE HELP; I also have vista premium and hear my voice but no music.   thank you   dee aka walkintall

20. Evie says:

Yet another SingSnapper… haha. Same problem here. It seems Vista got rid of the option to have What U Hear/Stereo Mix and Microphone activated at once. Therefore, on Singsnap, you can record just music if you have Stereo Mix enabled or just voice if you have Microphone enabled.

Is there any way to bypass this… patch it… fix it… anything? Thank you so much!

21. Arthur Johnson says:

voice and no music or music and no voice. need to find a way in to fix this problem. thank you hope you can help.   amj1@adelphia.net

22. Arthur Johnson says:

help me too  amj1@adelphia.net

23. sherryhosier says:

I am not on a Vista program just xp i guess any way I have know music either after I have sang then wasnt to play back.HELP

24. sherryhosier says:

I am not on a Vista program just xp i guess any way I have know music either after I have sang then want to play back.HELP

25. Trish says:

Is there any way to bypass this… patch it… fix it… anything? Thank you so much!

I have vista premium with realtec sound card any help please , email precious_one210@yahoo.ca

26. Emily says:

Thank you so much! I accidentally disabled it while messing around with recording, and I freaked. My computer is only like a week old, so yeah, I was so upset. It was so easy to get back, thanks again!

27. Andrew Michnik says:

I disabled my Bluetooth audio device which was a USB dongle in the back of an X-CRAFT hard drive case and Vista decided to follow the wires back to my PC and disable the hard drive as well

What a truly classy operating system!!

28. Jenny says:

I’m using Vista Home and Student and the realtek high definition audio. I just can’t find the stereo mix of anything else called the wave out mix or what u hear. when i click on : Show disabled devices nothing new appears. I got only Microphone, no Line in. please help me. you can email me in winxclub_2594@yahoo.com.vn

29. leelo7 says:

i cant find stereo mix when i go to show disabled devices nothing comes up

30. evan says:

thaks alot .. i resolved the prob…..

31. Alex George says:

Thanks so much, I couldn’t find my audio device after I had disabled it for a while. Thanks for your support page

32. Jodi says:

hatians need help contact julia foundation micjulia@live.com

33. Karaoker says:

I was trying for quite a while to enable my microphone being heard through the speaker.

It is call ‘mixing".

I was able to make this work on other (Dell) computers (for example Dimension 4700) and have karaoke fun without buying standalone expensive AMP for $600 or so.

I have DELL Inspiron 530 Quad Core with Realtek High Definition Audio and Windows Vista Home Premium.

All my control panels show (I was able to activate Stereo Mix HD Audio) that mike is working.

When I speak or knock on microphone Stereo Mix and/or mike shows signal but… microphone signal never ever went through (doesn’t matter what boost and/or mike level I set) onto speakers – it does not matter if i make Microphone default device or mixer as default device.

I can call people on Skype and they hear me well with this mike. As for "karaoke option" – no luck.

I was never able to get Microphone mixed and heard through computer speakers. I plugged into front and into back, tuned Realtek HD Audio Manager… but without any luck.

Any suggestion ? Is it Dell (with non-working Realtek IC chip) , Windows (with fake show that everything work) or other setting (that does not allow mixing of mike with internal player) ?

34. Some gamer says:

Hey i really needs halp. I am a gamer and my multiplayer does not work because i need to turn on mah stereo mix!!! I used to have it but my computer got busted and got refixed.Do you know how to find it or have a link i can donwload it?

35. LoserFreak says:

F U I HATE THIS I DON'T EVEN HAVE STEREO MIX ON MY VISTA!