Solution: Possible Side-by-Side error when sequencing Office 2010 on Windows Vista

image During the sequencing process of Microsoft Office 2010 on Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Service Pack 2 (SP2) using the Microsoft App-V 4.6 sequencer you may get the following error:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect

image

You may also receive an error similar to the following when launching PowerPoint:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click OK to terminate the application.

clip_image002

This can occur because of an issue between the VC++ Redistributables used in Windows Vista and the way the App-V 4.6 Sequencer handles them.  Also note that this issue only occurs with Windows Vista.  If you’re using Windows 7 then you shouldn’t run into this issue.

Unfortunately deleting files and replacing them really doesn’t work but the resolution is actually very simple. To avoid this issue, during sequencing only launch Word and Excel, then configure the Windows Update settings and toolbars as wanted. Don’t launch PowerPoint and Access at this point.  Once the sequence is complete you can stream down the package to Windows Vista machines and they should launch with no problems.

Here are some links for Office 2010 Guides and Deployment kits:

Prescriptive guidance for sequencing Office 2010 in Microsoft App-V

Microsoft Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V

Hope this helps,

Alvin Morales | App-V Support Escalation Engineer

clip_image001 clip_image002

Bookmark and Share

1. Brightner says:

Inplace upgarde of OS or clean install of OS

2. Norm says:

Nope!!!  This does not help me one bit!  None of the apps. in the office suite work.  They all give the same error message.  Yet another issue with Vista that I have.  So than, if nothing mentioned in this article works, reinstall?  Missing my Linux.

3. mike says:

I called MS last night, actually got someone who was knowledgeable about the same error problem here that I was getting. The solution they helped me through was to download and install the VC++ 2008 SP1 update. once this was done everything was working properly.

4. JaredCEG says:

In response to Mike!  Yes it does work and thank you for the post.  It solved my problem that I was dealing with for about a week now.  Thanks!

5. Nigel Halliwell says:

Thank you so much.  I have been tearing my hair out over this error.  Installing the C++ 2008 SP1 update made it all work.  You are a star…

6. Mike G. says:

I have been getting this message for 7 – 10 days.  I can't open any Word or Excel document or worksheet without getting this message.  I have tried uninstalling the Virtual C++ Redistributable and clicking on the link for the fix in the forum, but it still didn't work.  If this is such a major problem, for so many people, why doesn't Microsoft fix it, and make a link available to download the fix.  I still need help, this did not work.

7. gop says:

I have the same problem with a French Version. I still need help, this did not work

8. Karma Galore says:

I just tried Mike's advice – found this patch..

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Ran it, worked like a charm..  So THANKS Mike!!

9. Genevieve Maria Phillips says:

Many thanks Mike.

Excellent Advice after 3 wks of frustration

10. Gerald says:

Thanks Mike! Running Vista Home Ed with Office 2010, when side-by-side error occurred. Downloaded VC++ 2008 SP1 update, installed and everything now works!

11. Steve says:

Same here the VC++ 2008 SP1 update    http://www.microsoft.com/…/confirmation.aspx

solves it all

Please share this with your less techy friends like me. Some of the answers out there are way to complex. This took me 1 min.

12. jay says:

To MIKE !!!!!!!! THANK YOUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!  Downloaded-Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86). Worked perfect 1 min after

13. Babychiane-Vickie says:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Mike for all of your input. I download this after about a week of asking myself what the hell happened because I used it the night before, then boom I started the next day getting this error message. MICROSOFT NEEDS TO SEND UPDATES FOR THIS WHEN THEY KNOW THAT ITS HAPPENING TO A LOT OF PEOPLE.

AGAIN, THANKS, YOU'RE OUR HERO!!!!!!!

14. Al says:

I just tried downloading and Yea!! it corrected my problems  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

15. king says:

Thanks MIKE! Thanks a lot!!

16. nikki4 says:

i did the same download and still get the same message. please email me at: stubbornmom2008@gmail.com

17. zubair says:

thnx alot mike….!

18. gel says:

MIKE!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!

You saved me a bunch of hours and headache AND Money too 😀 thanks that fix my problem all is well now  =)

19. Erik Bartley says:

Thank you so much!  This was driving me crazy and all of the googling in the world wasn't helping me.  You are awesome!!

20. Dennis says:

I am not a techie but downloaded the update from Steve's link and now can access Offie apps. I just wish I had found it BEFORE I reloaded Office 🙁

21. kim says:

Thanks so much Mike!!  This is my 4th day working on this problem and even made a call to a computer tech to have him fix, but I thought I would try your advice first.  I 1st downloaded all the security updates for my computer, then downloaded the MS Visual C++2008 SP1 and my office applications work now!  I'm so thankful for your advice, Thanks again!!!!

22. Satya says:

I have unistalled installed VC++ packs( one was 2005 and other 2008). And installed VC++ sp1 as per Mike's advice. It worked like a charm. Great piece of advice. And thanks a lot.

23. Channell says:

OMG…im so happy that i found you guys and Mike…I called support 3x and no one could help me, nor understand what i was saying…I did what mike and everyone else told me to do, and it works now. This is really a pain, like others, if they know this is occurring they need to do something about it. Im not a techy person, all of google and reading didnt help. Thanks again MIKE…

24. laura says:

Thank you thank you thank you SP1 worked for me.!!!Yeah

25. Michelle says:

MICROSOFT needs to solve this. Why are they not dealing with it?

26. skultech says:

I have a windows 7 and this error is in it, so it is not only in windows vista

27. TerjeH says:

Sensational! My sister has had this problem for a long while now. Re-installed hundreds of times. And this little thing solved it all! Merry Christmas from Norway! This will be the best present this year!

28. Lord-Nykon says:

To correct the error of SIDE-BY-SIDE you will need to re-install this package MS Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package…. (X86) or (X64) version…. good luck.

29. Denise says:

Thanks Mike – I was stressing big time as I have school work due today and suddenly I could not open office

30. DL says:

A year after the original post, this is still an issue.  For everyone that has installed C++ SP1 and then had the same error creep back for no apparent reason (probably due to a MS update),simply re-install the same SP.  If it says it can't, then uninstall it and then re-install it.  Since this only occurrs with Vista, it's MS way of saying update to W7… WTF!!!

31. Rob K says:

Fixed mine too!  Thanks for the post, Mike.

32. Dave K says:

Same thing after a windows update. Total loss of Office. Applied the fix and back up and running. Thanks!

33. Mindy60 says:

Mike, this worked but was complicated for me since I also had a problem with icloud (main reason for using outlook). I had to uninstall and reinstall the icloud app on my PC before outlook could work again. I didn't find this problem for outlook and icloud on the apple site, but the update you described above worked and uninstalling/reinstalling/setting up icloud worked. Thanks!

34. Amina says: