First of all, we are excited to announce the availability of App-V 4.6 RC! In August we announced the App-V 4.6 Beta. Since then we have taken in lots of customer feedback and continue to refine the App-V 4.6 release so that we can deliver a great product! We invite you to check out the RC release by registering and downloading the App-V 4.6 RC release via Microsoft Connect, where you can also submit feedback directly to the team.
We’re not done though, in addition we’d like to share some great news and also announce our integration with Office 2010 Beta:
Microsoft Office 2010 Beta, Ready to be Sequenced With the Microsoft Office 2010 Beta Deployment Kit for App-V
As you know the Office team just completed a major milestone Microsoft Office 2010 Beta, congrats to the team! Throughout the process of building Office 2010 the App-V and Office teams have been working very closely to make
So what’s Different when using Microsoft Office 2010 Beta and App-V 4.6 RC together?
Office 2010 has introduced a new piracy protection initiative, the Software Protection Platform (SPP) service. This service uses a machine’s hardware characteristics and product key to activate the installation, which is performed during the first Office application launch.
Since the Office 2010 product activation is linked to the hardware on which Office is originally installed, customers who wish to deploy Office 2010 using App-V must physically install the SPP service on the sequencer machine before beginning the sequencing process – and on any client machines that will stream and run Office 2010.
Our engineering teams have collaborated to address the top customer issues that people were running into when virtualizing past versions of Office. As a result, Office 2010 has a much more integrated user experience. The Office 2010 integration delivers key productivity enhancements and a seamless user experience by enabling the following::
· Microsoft SharePoint Integration – You can open, edit, and save Microsoft Office documents using Microsoft SharePoint.
· Microsoft Outlook Fast Search – You can use Microsoft Windows Desktop Search to find specific messages in your inbox.
· MAPI Proxy – You can connect to your inbox using Microsoft Outlook Send To functionality.
· Microsoft Office Document Indexing – You can index your documents so that you can use Microsoft Windows Search to locate files.
· Virtual Mail Control Panel icon – You can use the Email icon in Control Panel to perform advance mail configuration.
· URL protocol handler – You can configure links in the browser and specify the appropriate associated Microsoft Office application.
· Send to Microsoft OneNote Printer driver – You can print documents to Microsoft OneNote.
To help customers facilitate this process, we have created the Microsoft Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V (Beta). The Deployment Kit contains both the required SPP licensing component and Office 2010 integration features.
And what’s even more exciting, you can get your hands on it now.
How Do I Sequence Microsoft Office 2010 Beta for App-V 4.6 RC?
1. Download Office 2010 Beta here
2. Download the Microsoft Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V (Beta)
3. Download App-V 4.6 RC on Microsoft Connect
4. Read the App-V recipe for sequencing Office 2010 Beta on Microsoft Connect.
For detailed information on whether your environment meets the requirements of Office 2010 and App-V 4.6 RC, please refer to the App-V recipe.
Please note: We are providing a recipe to support the sequencing and testing of these pre-release products on Microsoft Connect. Please provide feedback via Microsoft Connect, by choosing FEEDBACK once logged into the App-V 4.6 Program.
We look forward to hearing about your App-V 4.6 RC and Office 2010 experience!