This seems to be a relatively popular question so I thought I’d post a quick heads-up here in case you’re thinking about trying this in the future. If you want to virtualize the ConfigMgr 2007 admin console then follow these steps:
1. Install all prerequisites (e.g. MMC 3.0, etc.) and SCCM 2007 Console natively on your clean WinXP workstation, using the same install path as you’ll use when sequencing.
2. Export the following keys and save to a central location:
3. Turn Off and Delete all changes (VHD) or Reimage your sequencer to a clean state if you’re using a physical sequencing computer.
4. Install the Sequencer
5. Install all prerequisites for ConfigMgr 2007 Console (e.g. MMC 3.0, etc.) natively on the sequencing computer.
6. Start your sequence. While monitoring, install the ConfigMgr 2007 Admin Console. After installation is complete, before you stop monitoring, import the 3 exported registry keys you created in step #2 above.
7. Launch the Console and test functionality, then complete the installation.
8. During the Application Wizard, ensure the shortcut executable path is set to the Q: drive or the VFS path as necessary and launch the MMC to test functionality at this phase.
9. Finish the sequence and save it.
10. Modify the OSD to include the following dependency:
<SCRIPT TIMING=”POST” EVENT=”STREAM” PROTECT=”TRUE” WAIT=”TRUE” TIMEOUT=”0″>
echo off \n
copy /y %SFT_MNT%\<Replace with Asset Dir>\VFS\CSIDL_WINDOWS\WinSxS\Manifests %windir%\WinSxS\Manifests \n
xcopy /S /y %SFT_MNT%\<Replace with Asset Dir>\VFS\CSIDL_WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies %windir%\WinSxS\Policies \n
11. Publish the sequence and test the functionality on your SoftGrid Client.
*NOTE: All prerequisites need to be installed natively on the clients as they were on the sequencer prior to sequencing.
Cesar Nunez | Manageability Support Engineer