On Tuesday, the Windows OneCare team announced the availability of the beta of Windows OneCare Live – a comprehensive PC health service for consumers, which offers an integrated approach to help consumers more easily protect and care for their computers. The Windows OneCare team is a very important partner team of ours, and we are extremely excited about this release because it marks yet another technology debut for our team: our full antivirus engine and signature set! We have been working hard over the two years to provide the antivirus technology for this product, and seeing it in beta now is really cool. Windows OneCare Live will offer regular virus scanning as well as continuous protection against the latest virus threats. Windows OneCare Live also includes a two way firewall, a performance tune up wizard, automated backup and more. We hope you'll give this beta a try, and submit feedback to their team blog, which also has some more information on the beta.
Right now we're in an exciting time for our team, we have been heads-down for a long time working on some great technologies and we are finally getting to sharing it all with you. In just the past month we have been able to share with you a number of milestones:
- Delivering for the first time, our full antivirus engine and signatures in the Windows OneCare Live beta
- Debut an online, on-demand virus scanner as part of Windows Live Safety Center beta, including an interface into our searchable malware encyclopedia
- Announce more details of our plans around Windows Defender, and its availability in the December Community Technology Preview (CTP) for Windows Vista
- Shipping an update to the current Windows AntiSpyware beta to extend the expiration date to July 31, 2006
- Share our plans to detect and remove the rootkit that has been shipped as part of Sony’s XCP software with our upcoming December release of the Malicious Software Removal Tool, as well as with the Windows Live Safety Center, and the current beta of Windows AntiSpyware
We will keep trying to provide you with the latest information about what's going on here at Microsoft in the anti-malware space. Stay tuned!
Thanks for your interest,
Architect & Group PM
Anti-Malware Technology Team
Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/antimalware